The APTA Education Leadership Institute (ELI) Fellowship is a yearlong blended learning (online and onsite) program that is intended to develop innovative and influential leaders in physical therapy education who can function within a changing politico-sociocultural environment. ELI is intended for aspiring and current PT and PTA program directors. A maximum of 18 fellows-in-training are accepted annually. The next cohort will be identified in the spring, officially begin in July 2019, and graduate in July 2020. To learn more about the Fellowship, review the ELI Manual (.pdf).
Expectations and Time Commitments
ELI applicants should consider these essential features before applying and be prepared to:
- Complete a 2-hour virtual orientation in July 2019 (TBD).
- Engage in self-directed learning of 9 online modules in the APTA Learning Center during the fellowship year for approximately 404 instructional hours.
- Complete required ELI readings, activities, forms, and mentorship hour log.
- Actively participate in the virtual office hours with module faculty using a personal webcam.
- Participate in monthly calls with your small mentorship group, comprised of 2 mentors and up to 6 fellows-in-training.
- Actively engage in 3 (2-day) face-to-face sessions in a 13-month period integrating content applied from each of the 9 modules.
- Develop a leadership project that responds to a need in the participant's institution.
- Develop a dynamic leadership reflections worksheet to enhance your knowledge, abilities, and skills.
- Complete all course, participant, and program assessments and evaluations.
- Arrange for regular, ongoing meetings with your institutional supervisor throughout ELI.
- The applicant should be an aspiring or current physical therapist or physical therapist assistant program director.
- The applicant must be a current APTA member.
- The applicant must be licensed/registered/certified or licensure eligible in the United States.
- No more than one applicant per institution can be accepted per cohort.
ELI applicants are invited to apply to the fellowship between October 15 and March 17 via RF-PTCAS, the centralized application service for postprofessional residency and fellowship programs in physical therapy. Please review the application requirements below. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, if questions.
- Complete the RF-PTCAS and submit all required materials by no later than the March 17 deadline.
- Enter your PT license in the "Supporting Information" section of RF-PTCAS and upload a copy.
- Enter your APTA member number in the "Supporting Information" section of RF-PTCAS.
ELI NOMINATION FORM
- Download the blank ELI nomination form (.pdf), once available in the fall.
- Send the form to your supervisor (program director, dean, or other appropriate administrator).
- Once signed by your supervisor, upload the completed form in the "Program Materials" section of RF-PTCAS.
- Enter the contact information for 3 evaluators (references) in the "Evaluations" section of RF-PTCAS.
- One evaluation must be submitted by the same supervisor who completed the ELI nomination form.
- Once you have entered the contact information, your evaluators should receive an email from RF-PTCAS with instructions on how to access the "CAS Evaluator Portal," complete the evaluation, and upload a letter of reference.
- Upload your current CV with evidence of past leadership activities in the "Program Materials" section of RF-PTCAS. Applicants to ELI are encouraged, but not required, to use the CAPTE CV format. View the “SSR Instructions and Forms (.doc)” link on the CAPTE website.
- Respond to the following topics in the "Program Materials" section of RF-PTCAS and present clear evidence of your potential for leadership in physical therapy education.
- A separate response will be required for each of the following topics:
- A defining moment in your leadership journey, what has facilitated your growth as a leader, or your greatest leadership challenge.
- Your leadership career goals and how your career aspirations are consistent with the ELI mission.
- Areas in which you hope to grow or learn through your participation in ELI.
- A need your institution is facing that might be addressed through an ELI leadership project.
Items Not Required for Admission
No Transcripts: Applicants to the ELI fellowship are not required to submit transcripts to RF-PTCAS. The ELI Work Group will not consider transcripts in the admissions review process. Applicants should disregard the general RF-PTCAS instructions about transcripts.
Application Sections: Applicant to ELI may leave the following sections of the RF-PTCAS application blank. The ELI Work Group will review the applicant’s CV to find this related information.
- Academic History: Continuing Education (not considered)
- Supporting Information: Achievements; Experiences; Residencies and Fellowships