The 2016 House of Delegates (House) will take place June 6-8 in Nashville, Tennessee, immediately preceding NEXT.
Each year, a limited number of students volunteer to serve as ushers. House ushers get a first-hand look at the House in action, gain a better understanding of how the profession works, and have the opportunity to learn from dedicated and experienced physical therapists as they set the professional standards for the coming year. House ushers serve an important role in the efficiency of the House, with primary responsibilities as messengers and door monitors during the House meetings.
To be eligible to serve as a student House usher, applicants must:
- Be a current APTA member.
- Be enrolled in a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant program or have graduated no more than 7 months prior to the start of the House of Delegates.
- Be able to quickly and efficiently assist in House of Delegates processes, including, but not limited to: running messages, monitoring doors, checking badges, handing out flyers and other materials to delegates, and assisting in the breakdown of the House Wednesday afternoon.
- Be available to volunteer all 3 days of the House.
Usher responsibilities include:
- Running messages and motions between delegates, to and from the House officers, and between the House officers and computer operators
- Monitoring entry to the House, ensuring that no one enters until the start of delegate reassignment, checking badges or APTA member IDs, or ensuring no one enters if the House is in closed session.
- Distributing flyers and other materials as needed.
- Assisting with the election process as necessary.
- Assisting with the breakdown of the House on Wednesday afternoon.
- Quickly and efficiently assisting in other House processes as requested
Ushers should wear comfortable sneakers. Ushers must also wear khaki slacks or walking shorts and a white button-down or polo shirt.
The application period for 2016 will open in March.
Selection will be made at random while taking into consideration geographic diversity and equal representation of schools. In certain cases, spots are held for those academic programs that hold competitions for selection of ushers.
APTA is unable to offer reimbursement for expenses incurred while participating in the student usher capacity. Note: Beverages and snacks will be provided to usher volunteers.