The 2015 House of Delegates (House) will take place June 1-3 in National Harbor, Maryland, immediately preceding NEXT, APTA's annual June conference.
APTA is seeking student volunteers to serve as student House ushers at the 2015 House. Use APTA's easy online form to apply to be a student House usher.
The Usher Experience
House ushers have the opportunity to see how the physical therapy profession governs itself and sets professional policies. They get a first-hand look at APTA's House of Delegates, a policy-making body of the association, gain a better understanding of how the profession works, and have the opportunity to learn from dedicated and experienced physical therapists as they set the professional standards for the coming year. House ushers serve an important role in the efficiency of the House, with primary responsibilities as messengers and door monitors during the House meetings.
Video: 2013 Ushers Describe the Experience
To be eligible to serve as a student House usher, applicants must:
- be a current APTA member.
- be enrolled in a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant program or have graduated no more than 7 months prior to the start of the House of Delegates.
- be able to quickly and efficiently assist in House of Delegates processes, including, but not limited to: running messages, monitoring doors, checking badges, handing out flyers and other materials to delegates, and assisting in the breakdown of the House Wednesday afternoon.
- be available to volunteer all 3 days of the House.
Selection will be made at random while taking into consideration geographic diversity and equal representation of schools. In certain cases, spots are held for those academic programs that hold competitions for selection of ushers.
APTA is unable to offer reimbursement for expenses incurred while participating in the student usher capacity. Note: Beverages and snacks will be provided to usher volunteers.
The application period has now closed. Please check back in March 2016 for opportunities to volunteer at NEXT 2016.
If selected to be a student House of Delegates usher, your responsibilities will include:
- running messages and motions between delegates
- running messages and motions to and from the House officers
- running messages between the House officers and computer operators
- monitoring the entrances to the House, ensuring that no one enters until the start of delegate reassignment
- checking badges or APTA member IDs for admittance to the House
- monitoring the entrances if the House is in closed session to ensure that no one enters until permitted by the speaker of the House
- distributing flyers and other materials to delegates prior to the beginning of each meeting of the House as needed
- assisting APTA staff with the breakdown of the House on Wednesday afternoon
- assisting with the election process as necessary
- quickly and efficiently assisting in other House processes as requested
In order to achieve the speed and responsiveness needed for your role, all Student House Ushers should wear comfortable sneakers. Student House Ushers must also wear khaki slacks or walking shorts and a white button-down or polo shirt.