The 2020 House of Delegates (House) will take place June 1-3, in Phoenix, Arizona, immediately preceding NEXT, APTA's annual June conference. Applications for House Ushers are now open.. Scroll down to review responsibilities, requirements, and to access the online application. The application process will close, Monday, March 30, 2020.
The Usher Experience
House ushers have the opportunity to see how the physical therapy profession governs itself and sets professional policies. They get a first-hand look at APTA's House of Delegates, a policy-making body of the association, gain a better understanding of how the profession works, and have the opportunity to learn from dedicated and experienced physical therapists as they set the professional standards for the coming year. House ushers serve an important role in the efficiency of the House, with primary responsibilities as messengers and door monitors during the House meetings.
To be eligible to serve as a House usher, applicants must:
- a current APTA member
- enrolled in a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant program or have graduated no more than 7 months prior to the start of the House of Delegates
- able to quickly and efficiently assist in House of Delegates processes, including, but not limited to: running messages, monitoring doors, checking badges, and assisting in the breakdown of the House Wednesday afternoon
- available to volunteer all 3 days of the House
Selection will be made at random while taking into consideration geographic diversity and equal representation of schools.
APTA is unable to offer reimbursement for expenses incurred while participating in the House usher capacity. Those selected will be provided snacks and lunch vouchers during House activities.
If selected to be a House of Delegates usher, your responsibilities will include:
- running messages and motions between delegates, to and from the House officers, and between the House officers and computer operators
- monitoring entry to the House, ensuring that no one enters until the start of delegate reassignment, checking badges or APTA member IDs, or ensuring no one enters if the House is in closed session.
- assisting APTA staff with the breakdown of the House on Wednesday afternoon.
- assisting with the election process as necessary.
- quickly and efficiently assisting in other House processes as requested
In order to achieve the speed and responsiveness of an usher needs, the House officers ask that selected candidates wear comfortable sneakers, khaki pants or walking shorts, and a white button-up shirt or a white polo. The selection of clothing should be appropriate to wear in the clinic. Please do not wear short shorts or low cut blouses. If selected as the Special Assistant to the Vice Speaker business attire needed.
Apply Online Via APTA Engage
Submission Deadline: March 30, 2020