About the Award
The Dorothy Baethke-Eleanor J. Carlin Award for Excellence in Academic Teaching is for clinical or academic educators who have been actively engaged for a minimum of 5 years in entry and/or advanced levels of formal education for upcoming physical therapist professionals. Qualifying teaching expertise must occur within at least 1 accredited program from which students earn an academic qualification upon graduation.
- Nominees must be physical therapists or individuals not eligible for APTA membership who have been actively engaged in teaching physical therapist students (entry- or advanced-level) or physical therapist assistant students in formal education for at least 5 years.
- Nominees must be either clinical or academic educators. Nominees must have a faculty appointment of any rank (part-time or full-time) or receive compensation for their teaching responsibilities.
- Teaching must occur in an academic setting within 1 or more accredited physical therapist or physical therapist assistant education programs, or advanced level programs for physical therapists, from which students earn an academic qualification.
- Teaching solely as a component of continuing education does not constitute eligibility for this award.
- The nominee must have demonstrated the following: exceptional teaching effectiveness in the academic setting; a distinct expertise in at least 1 subject area to which the academic teaching has been directed; and excellence as a role model for academic teaching for students, faculty, and clinicians.
What Recipients Receive
A plaque will be presented to the recipient by APTA's Board of Directors at the NEXT Conference and Exposition and an official announcement will appear in an association publication.
During the online process, the following documents will be required for upload:
- Current curriculum vitae or resume of the nominee
- A letter of nomination that specifically focuses on the strengths of the nominee in relation to the award criteria, not to exceed 3 pages
- 2 letters of support, not to exceed 2 pages each, 1 from each of the following: a physical therapist colleague from the nominee's institution, and a current or former student who is representative of an academic level of teaching in which the nominee has been engaged (The academic experience of the student should include attendance through at least one entire course taught by the nominee.)
Submit a Nomination
Nominations must be submitted electronically. All materials completed and submitted for each nomination must be received by the APTA Honors and Awards Program on or before December 1, 2019, to be considered for the 2020 Honors and Awards Program. Please note that the nominator is responsible for reviewing and ensuring the proper completion of all steps within the online nomination submission process before final submission.
For questions regarding the nomination process or the award, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
View past award recipients for this award (.pdf).