Nominations now being accepted September 1 through December 1, 2019
Established in 2019, the APTA Outstanding Physical Therapist Resident Award honors recent fellowship graduates in order to recognize the intrinsic value of postprofessional training, and thereby promote and provide for the development and accreditation of fellowship education programs in physical therapy.
To be considered for this award all nominees must meet the following requirements:
- Be active APTA members in good standing at the time of nomination and selection.
- Be within 2 years immediately following graduation from a fellowship program accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education (ABPTRFE). This period includes 1 year preceding the nomination.
- Be nominated by a representative of an ABPTRFE-accredited physical therapist fellowship education program. Self-nominations are not permitted for this award.
- Be licensed or regulated if required by the jurisdiction where the individual is practicing.
Criteria for Selection
Nominees must have demonstrated:
- Evidence of current and potential contributions to the physical therapy profession
- Promotion of ethical standards and professional conduct
- Promotion of best practice patterns within clinical practice through teaching, mentoring, and scholarly work
- Contributions to the American Physical Therapy Association at the national, component, and/or district levels
- Dedicated service to the community through activities that enhance quality of life, function, and societal well-being
The following documents are required to accompany the nomination:
- Completed application form (.doc)
- Graduation certificate from the nominee's program confirming enrollment and successful graduation; certificate must be included in the nomination package upon submission
- A completed narrative description (not to exceed 1 page) from the nominee; narrative's content should focus upon the nominee's experience within their respective program and its significance or effect upon their future goals in the profession
- Letter of nomination (from the nominee's program director or faculty member) that specifically focuses on the strength of the nominee in relation to the award criteria, not to exceed 3 pages
- Two letters of support, not to exceed 2 pages each, obtained from individuals who can specifically address 1 or more of the criteria for selection; 1 of these letters must be provided by a faculty member or mentor at the nominee's program
What Recipients Receive
An award will be presented to the selected recipient(s) by APTA's Board of Directors at NEXT Conference and Exposition. Selected recipients also will be recognized in an official announcement that will appear in an association publication.
Submit a Nomination
Nominations for the 2020 cycle are now closed. The call for nominations will open again in fall 2020 for the 2021 cycle.
If you have any questions about the nomination process or the award, please contact our Honors & Awards Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.