Nominations are now being accepted for this award.
Nomination Deadline: December 1, 2015
- Applicant programs that are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) and can demonstrate initiatives that can assist minority students that have been ongoing for at least 3 years
- Physical therapist professional education or physical therapist assistant education programs that are directed by members of the Board of Directors or members of the Education Awards Subcommittee are not eligible for nomination or consideration for this award
Criteria for selection include the following:
- Planned, comprehensive initiatives have been developed by the program that can assist in the recruitment, admission, retention, and graduation of minority students that demonstrate effectiveness, achievement, and a sustained level or increase in the number of minority students, over a period of at least 3 years; and/or planned, comprehensive initiatives have been developed by the program that can sustain or increase the number of minority faculty recruited, employed, and retained, over a period of at least 3 years.
- Initiatives have been developed that provide services that can assist students and/or faculty from racial and ethnic minority groups.
- Institutional support is demonstrated for the initiatives and efforts put forth by the physical therapist professional education program or physical therapist assistant education program.
What Recipients Receive
A plaque and a monetary award of $2,500 will be presented to the selected program(s) by APTA's Board of Directors at the NEXT Conference and Exposition and an official announcement will appear in an association publication.
During the online process, the following documents will be required for upload:
1. A letter of nomination that provides a narrative description of program, to include, but not be limited to:
- Name and address of the physical therapist professional education or physical therapist assistant education program and its program director
- Name(s) and qualification(s) of individual(s) involved in minority recruitment and service initiatives
- Total number of students enrolled in each class of program and total number of minority students enrolled in each class of program
- Current number and academic level of students and faculty affected by the minority recruitment and service initiatives
- Summary statement
- Rationale for program initiatives
- Initiatives for minority students including: recruitment, admissions, retention, graduation and/or initiatives for minority faculty (role models) including: recruitment, employment, and retention
- Services/resources available
- Institutional support of initiatives
- Evaluation of the program
2. 2 letters in support of the nomination from representatives of the student body and/or faculty members who have benefited from the program, not to exceed 2 pages each
Submit a Nomination
Nominations must be submitted electronically. All materials completed
and submitted for each nomination must be received by the APTA Honors
and Awards Program on or before December 1, 2015, to be considered for
2016 Honors and Awards Program. Please note that the nominator is
responsible for reviewing and ensuring the proper completion of all
steps within the online nomination submission process before final
View past award recipients for this award (.pdf).