- Be physical therapists who, from the starting date of their first academic appointment as core faculty until the time of nomination (December 1), have been actively engaged in teaching physical therapist (professional or postprofessional) or physical therapist assistant students for at least 2, but not more than 5 years.
- Have a full-time academic faculty appointment of any rank.
- Be employed in an academic setting within one or more accredited physical therapy education programs or an advanced level program for physical therapists, from which students earn an academic degree.
- Possess distinct expertise in at least one subject area to which research and teaching efforts have been directed.
- Have demonstrated the following: Distinct expertise in at least one subject area to which research and teaching efforts have been directed; past, current, and potential contributions to scholarly activities; teaching excellence in the academic setting; and commitment to service to the institution and to the profession.
Note: Teaching solely as a component of continuing education does not constitute eligibility for this award.
What Recipients Receive
A plaque and monetary award of $1,500 will be presented to the recipient by APTA's Board of Directors at NEXT (formerly APTA Annual Conference) and an official announcement will appear in an association publication.
During the online process, the following documents will be required for upload:
- Current curriculum vitae or resume of the nominee
- A letter of nomination (from the nominator) that specifically focuses on the strengths of the nominee in relation to the award criteria and includes descriptions of any previous academic appointments held by the nominee, not to exceed 3 pages
- 2 letters of support, not to exceed 2 pages each, obtained from the following: a physical therapist colleague from the nominee's institution and a current or former student who is representative of an academic level of teaching in which the nominee has been engaged
- A summary of student course evaluations may be submitted if permitted by the institution
- A descriptive outline for each course not to exceed 1 page, for which the nominee has primary responsibility in the academic program, including but not limited to the academic level of the students, course content, time sequence, teaching methods used to evaluate student achievement
Submit a Nomination
The call for nominations will begin September 2014. Please check back for updates.
View past award recipients for this award (.pdf).