About this Award
The Outstanding Physical Therapist/Physical Therapist Assistant Team Award honors professionals who have individually provided clinical service for a minimum of 5 years, and have positively affected the quality of physical therapy through their combined teamwork during a period of at least 3 years. This award recognizes a PT/PTA team whose positive work has contributed to the delivery of high-quality physical therapist services.
Individually, nominees must:
- Be a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant who has been engaged in providing clinical services for at least 5 years; and
- been licensed or regulated if required by the jurisdiction where the individual is working.
Note: The composition of the team may include 1 or more physical therapists and 1 or more physical therapist assistants.
Physical therapist and physical therapist assistant teams must have:
- Worked together (existed) in a clinical practice of any setting for at least 3 years;
- positively affected the quality of physical therapy care provided to patients/clients in their practice setting as a result of their ability to work as a team;
- contributed to the enhancement of the overall delivery of physical therapy services in their practice setting as a result of their teamwork; and
- provide a formal (written) or informal (communicated) team protocol that includes team structure, method of communication, determination of assignments to patients/clients, and method of supervision related to patient/client needs.
Criteria for Selection
The PT/PTA team relationship:
- Is characterized by trust, mutual respect, adaptability, cooperation, and an appreciation of individual and cultural differences;
- involves direction, supervision, and effective communication;
- has been enhanced through mentoring, continuing education, and professional development; and
- has had an effect on the delivery of high quality physical therapy services to patients/clients within their practice setting.
What Recipient Receive
An award will be presented to each physical therapist and physical therapist assistant member of the selected PT/PTA team. The award will be presented by APTA's Board of Directors at the NEXT Conference and Exposition and an official announcement will appear in an association publication.
During the online process, the following documents will be required for upload:
- Completed eligibility form (.doc)
- Current curriculum vitae or resume of the nominees (both PT and PTA)
- A letter of nomination that specifically focuses on the strengths of the nominated PT/PTA team in relation to the award criteria, not to exceed 3 pages
- 2 letters of support obtained from individuals (patients, peers, colleagues, employees, etc) upon whom the team has had an impact, which specifically address one or more of the criteria for selection, not to exceed 2 pages each
- Description of the team's formal (written) or informal (communicated) protocol: team structure, method of communication, determination of assignments to patients/clients, method of supervision related to patient/client needs
Submit a Nomination
Nominations for 2020 will open in September 2019. All materials completed and submitted for each nomination must be received by the APTA Honors and Awards Program on or before December 1, 2019, to be considered for the 2019 Honors and Awards Program. Please note that the nominator is responsible for reviewing and ensuring the proper completion of all steps within the online nomination submission process before final submission.
For questions regarding the nomination process or the award, please contact Alissa Patanarut at 800/999-2782, ext 3154.
View past award recipients for this award (.pdf).