Nominees who have been actively engaged in writing and publishing professional literature for a sustained period of not less than 10 years.
Criteria for Selection
- The nominee must be a physical therapist who has made a significant contribution to health care by writing in the areas of theory, practice, basic or clinical research, education, or administration.
- The nominee must have published in at least 2 different health care professional journals, or contributed to at least 2 books, monographs, or proceedings from scientific meetings.
- The scientific writings must reflect expertise of subject matter, innovation of ideas, and clarity of expression.
Note: Electronic examples of the nominee's published writings must be provided. These examples should be from health profession's publications, both within and outside the discipline of physical therapy. Publications can include scientific journals, books, monographs or proceedings from scientific meetings, podcasts, webinars, online courses, and other publications.
What Recipients Receive
An award will be presented to the recipient by APTA's Board of Directors at the NEXT Conference and Exposition and an official announcement will appear in an association publication.
The nominator is responsible for reviewing and ensuring the completion of all steps within the online nomination submission process before its final submission. During the online process, the following documents will be required for upload:
- Current curriculum vitae or resume of the nominee
- A letter of nomination that specifically focuses on the strengths of the nominee in relation to the award criteria, not to exceed 3 pages
- 2 letters of support obtained from individuals who can demonstrate the relationship of the nominee's published work to the purpose of the award. Letters of support may be from physical therapists or from health care professionals in other disciplines and are not to exceed 2 pages each
- Electronic copies of book reviews or abstracts of the material,
or copies of portions of publications that are most illustrative of the
Letters of support should:
- Explicitly state how the nominee is qualified under the criteria for selection by providing details on what significant contributions have been made by the nominee to the literature in physical therapy or in other health care disciplines in the areas of theory, practice, basic or clinical research, education, and administration;
- reflect genuine knowledge and consideration of the nominee's qualifications for this award;
- indicate in what capacity the author works or worked with, or otherwise knows personally, the nominee.
Submit a Nomination
Nominations must be submitted electronically. All materials completed
and submitted for each nomination must be received by the APTA Honors
and Awards Program on or before December 1, 2015, to be considered for
2016 Honors and Awards Program. Please note that the nominator is
responsible for reviewing and ensuring the proper completion of all
steps within the online nomination submission process before final
submission. Nominations for 2016 will open September 2015.
View past award recipients for this award (.pdf).