About this Award
The Signe Brunnstrom Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching honors a physical therapist in a Center Coordinator of Clinical Education (CCCE) or Clinical Instructor (CI) role, who has been actively engaged in clinical teaching at entry or advanced levels of physical therapy education for a minimum of 5 years.
- Nominees must be physical therapists who have been actively engaged in clinical teaching of physical therapist students (entry- or advanced-level) or physical therapist assistant students for at least 5 years.
- Nominees must be either a center coordinator of clinical education (CCCE) or a clinical instructor (CI), and must be employed or self employed in a clinical setting. Individuals holding full-time faculty appointments within an academic setting are not eligible for the award.
- Nominees must possess distinct expertise in at least one area of practice to which the clinical teaching has been directed.
- Nominees have demonstrated: an exceptional teaching effectiveness in the clinical setting, excellence as a role model in clinical teaching and a distinct expertise in at least 1 area of practice to which the clinical teaching has been directed.
- Clinical teaching must occur in a clinical setting, under an arrangement or contract with 1 or more accredited physical therapist or physical therapist assistant education programs, or advanced level programs for physical therapists, and must occur with students earning academic qualifications.
- Teaching solely as a component of continuing education does not constitute eligibility for this award.
What Recipients Receive
A plaque will be presented to the recipient by APTA's Board of Directors at the NEXT Conference and Exposition and an official announcement will appear in an association publication.
During the online process, the following documents will be required for upload:
- Current curriculum vitae or resume of the nominee
- A letter of nomination that specifically focuses on the strengths of the nominee in relation to the award criteria, not to exceed 3 pages
- 2 letters of support, not to exceed 2 pages each, obtained from the following: a physical therapist colleague from the nominee's clinical center or from an affiliating physical therapy education program, and a current or former student who is representative of an academic level of clinical teaching in which the nominee has been engaged and whose clinical education experience with the nominee has been full-time for a period of at least three weeks
Submit a Nomination
Nominations for the 2020 cycle are now closed. The call for nominations will open again in fall 2020 for the 2021 cycle.
For questions regarding the nomination process or the award, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
View past award recipients for this award (.pdf).