Nominations for this award are now closed.
About the Award
The John H.P. Maley Lecture Award is annually presented to an APTA physical therapist member who has demonstrated clinical expertise and significant contributions to the physical therapy profession. The honoree's lecture is considered to be one of the highlights at APTA's NEXT Conference & Exposition.
Nominees must be physical therapists who are members of the American Physical Therapy Association.
Nominees must have made distinguished contributions to the profession of physical therapy in any area clinical practice.
Depth, Scope, and Quality of Contributions:
- Wide-reaching effects of contributions, as evidenced in the quality and diversity of the letters of support received
- Previous recognition of contributions, as demonstrated by other awards and honors documented in the nominee's curriculum vitae
- Professional public visibility of contributions, as demonstrated by publications, presentations, invited lectures, appointed and elected positions held, and other information in the nominee's curriculum vitae
- Sustained and continuous contributions in an area of clinical practice as documented in the letters of support and in the nominee's curriculum vitae
- Qualitative effects of contributions in an area of clinical practice as documented in the letters of support
- Enduring quality of contributions, or potential for continuing effects of contributions on the physical therapy profession
Ability to Present a Noteworthy Lecture:
- Acknowledged skills in the organization and presentation of written or oral communications, as documented in the letters of support and the nominee's curriculum vitae
The John H.P. Maley Lecture Award recipient is required to deliver a lecture at a general session during the NEXT Conference and Exposition. The lecture should not be more than 45 minutes in length and as each
learning event offered by APTA meets high standards of quality, the
lecturer is required to submit to APTA a lecture description, measurable
learning objectives, a bibliography of reference materials (at least
five references no older than ten years), and a brief biography. The content of the lecture shall be related to any aspect of clinical practice and shall address ideas that promote physical therapy. The lecture may not promote the lecturer's personal products, services, or personal beliefs on topics outside of those related to the practice of physical therapy. The recipient will be assigned an APTA staff liaison to provide information on the context of the lecture and manage pre-conference arrangements and on-site lecture logistics.
What Recipients Receive
The John H.P. Maley Lecture Award recipient will be introduced by the son of John H.P. Maley and will receive a framed certificate of recognition at the time of the lecture. The recipient also receives an honorarium of $2,000; reimbursement of up to 2 days of travel and accommodation expenses incurred by the recipient in conjunction with travel for the purpose of delivering the lecture; and complimentary registration to NEXT where the recipient presents his/her lecture.
During the online process, the following documents will be required for upload:
- Current and complete curriculum vitae or resume that covers the entire career of the nominee up to the nomination for this award
- Letter of nomination that specifically focuses on the strengths of the nominee in relation to the award criteria, not to exceed 4 pages
- 3 letters of support from individuals who can specifically address 1 or more of the criteria for selection, not to exceed 2 pages each
Submit a Nomination
Nominations for 2019 will open in September 2018. All materials completed and submitted for each nomination must be received by the APTA Honors and Awards Program on or before December 1, 2018, to be considered for the 2019 Honors and Awards Program. Please note that the nominator is responsible for reviewing and ensuring the proper completion of all steps within the online nomination submission process before final submission.
For questions regarding the nomination process or the award, please contact Alissa Patanarut at 800/999-2782, ext 3154, or email@example.com.
View past award recipients for this award (.pdf).