Physical therapy provides numerous opportunities to lead—in your clinic, in your community, or in your association. APTA's Leadership Development Task Force has curated resources to help physical therapists (PTs) and physical therapist assistants (PTAs) improve their leadership skills.
Leadership Development Opportunities
Programs & Events
- Education Leadership Institute (ELI) Fellowship: This year-long fellowship is designed to help educators improve their leadership skills to facilitate change, think strategically, and engage in public discourse to advance the physical therapy profession.
- LAMP Leadership Development Certificate Program: LAMP curriculum supports leadership development through structured self-assessment of leadership strengths and weaknesses, identification of tools needed to lead successfully, empowerment, and mentoring through applied leadership activities.
- ACAPT Leadership Academy: The American Council of Academic Physical Therapy (ACAPT) offers affordable, accessible leadership training and resources for all stakeholders in the physical therapy academy.
- RM Barney Poole Leadership Academy: The Georgia Chapter offers this 1.5 day program that offers skills for PTs, PTAs and students to grow personally and professionally. Attendees will understand how change and innovation requires leadership.
- Chapter and Section Leadership Programs: Many chapters and sections provide leadership programs or events for members. Please contact your chapter or section to see what opportunities may be available.
Leadership Development Self-Assessment Tool
The Leadership Development Self-Assessment tool (.pdf) was developed by the LAMP Institute for Leadership in Physical Therapy of the Health Policy and Administration Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. This tool is intended for personal use to identify areas for personal growth and leadership development.