APTA Responds to NYT.com About Plantar Fasciitis Article

February 25, 2013

Dear Editor:

Regarding the Feb. 20 article, "No Consensus on a Common Cause of Foot Pain" by Gretchen Reynolds, physical therapists play a larger role in diagnosing and treating plantar fasciitis than the article stated.

In many instances, patients may go directly to a physical therapist for diagnosis and treatment of this condition. After taking a health and activity history and conducting a clinical evaluation, a physical therapist will develop a program that may include pain reduction, selection of supportive footwear, and stretching exercises to improve flexibility of the ankle and plantar fascia.

Physical therapists receive a master's or a clinical doctoral degree from an accredited physical therapist program before taking the national licensure examination that allows them to practice. Most physical therapists graduate with a doctor of physical therapy (DPT) degree.

Physical therapists offer conservative, cost-effective treatment. Visit www.moveforwardpt.com to find a local physical therapist and learn about physical therapist treatment for plantar fasciitis.

Yours sincerely,

Paul A. Rockar Jr, PT, DPT, MS
American Physical Therapy Association