The PTA Recognition of Advanced Proficiency for the Physical Therapist Assistant Program recognizes physical therapist assistants (PTAs) who have achieved advanced proficiency through education, experience, leadership, and as part of the PT/PTA team in one or more specified areas of work: Acute Care, Aquatics, Cardiopulmonary, Education, Geriatric, Integumentary, Musculoskeletal, Neuromuscular, Oncology, and/or Pediatric physical therapy.
The same application is used for both first time applicants to the program and those who are pursuing re-recognition upon completion of the 5-year term of the recognition.
Download the PTA Recognition Application Packet (.doc)
Application and Fee Submission
Complete and save the application and Forms A-C (included in the Application Packet) on your computer.
If paying the application fee via credit card:
1. Use this secure online interface to upload your completed application packet and pay your application fee via credit card.
2. Log in with your APTA member number, last name, and e-mail address.
3. Browse your computer to locate your saved application.
4. Once the file name and location appear in the browse box, click "upload file."
5. Complete the credit card information page.
6. Click "submit."
If paying the application fee via check:
1. Submit an electronic copy of the application and Forms A-C via e-mail to PTARecognition@apta.org.
2. Send the nonrefundable $85.00 application/reapplication fee (Individuals who are reapplying and have kept their membership current throughout the 5-year period of recognition receive a discounted rate of $65.00.) to:
Academic Services Department
1111 N Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-1488
Attention: PTA Services
Applications will not be processed until the nonrefundable application fee has been received. Checks should be made out to APTA
Submission of References
Instruct the individuals completing the Recommendation Forms (Supervising Physical Therapist Reference and Second Letter of Reference) to submit an electronic copy to PTARecognition@apta.org.
The completed application packet must be received at APTA Headquarters by February 1 or August 1. Only complete applications will be considered.
Once your completed application and nonrefundable application fee have been received, your application will be processed and sent for review by members of the Committee for PTA Recognition. The Committee for PTA Recognition will review your application to assure that all eligibility requirements have been met. You will be notified of the status of your application after the review is completed.