• Stephen Levine, 'Tireless Champion of the Profession,' Dies

Stephen M. Levine, PT, DPT, MSHA, FAPTA, a former APTA Board of Directors member and one of the physical therapy profession's most loved and respected voices, died on March 3 as a result of injuries sustained in an automobile accident. He was 52.

Levine was at the center of some of the most important developments in physical therapy practice and payment during the past 30 years. He was considered a leader in efforts to elevate the standards of physical therapist (PT) and physical therapist assistant (PTA) practice, including the elimination of unwarranted variation in clinical practice. A frequent advisor to the Medicare program, he was one of the nation's leading experts on the Resource Based Value Scale (RBRVS), at one point providing congressional testimony on the RBRVS.

Levine's involvement with APTA dated back to 1985, and included 11 years of service to the APTA Board of Directors, where he began as vice speaker of the House of Delegates before moving on to speaker. His position on the board led to involvement in many of the association's high-priority projects and initiatives, including the Guide to Physical Therapist Practice and the alternative payment system task force, which he chaired. Levine received a Lucy Blair Service award in 2011 and was named a Catherine Worthingham Fellow in 2014.

As executive vice president of compliance and consulting services for OpimisCorp and a founding partner of the Fearon & Levine consulting firm, Levine focused on practice management and payment policy in the outpatient rehabilitation setting. He received his degree in physical therapy from the University of Maryland at Baltimore, a master's degree in health administration from Virginia Commonwealth University, and his DPT degree from A.T. Still University of the Health Sciences.

In a statement issued yesterday, APTA President Paul A. Rockar Jr, PT, DPT, MS, wrote that Levine was "so much to so many: a tireless champion of the profession, a friend, a gentlemen, and a passionate leader." According to Rockar, Levine "not only contributed to, but also helped to shape the profession of physical therapy as we know it today."

Levine is survived by his husband, Bruce Anderson, PT; his father, Stanley Levine; his sister, Wendy Levine; and his nephews Andrew and Ryan Schiff. Details of funeral arrangements have not been announced, but will be shared on the APTA website when made available.

APTA has created a tribute page to allow visitors to share thoughts and remembrances of Levine.

• From all the comments one can see how many lives this remarkable man has touched. Simply put, knowing Steve has made me a better professional and a better person. I wish he knew the profound impact he had on me. My thoughts and prayers are with Steve, Bruce and their families.

Posted by Thomas DiAngelis -> =JQ^= on 3/5/2015 11:33 AM

• I am very saddened by the news of Steve’s accident and passing. One thing I will always remember about Steve is that he was so approachable on so many levels in any type of interaction you may had with him. He will be sorely missed.

Posted by James Roush -> AGQZB on 3/5/2015 3:29 PM

• A true friend and he will be missed by many. Much love and prayers to Bruce and Steve's family. God has a good one!

Posted by eileen rodri carter on 3/5/2015 7:29 PM

• Words can't begin to express how much Steve will be missed! He had a tremendous impact in so many arenas in our profession! My most heartfelt sympathies to Bruce and to their families! Steve, thanks for the many great discussions over the years!

Posted by Edie Benner on 3/6/2015 12:26 AM

• Steve always took time to greet people with a smile and shaped our profession in so many ways. I will miss him and my prayers reach out to all of my PT friends who knew him so dearly and to his entire family. Julie Ellis

Posted by Julie Ellis on 3/6/2015 5:10 PM

• My heart is sad, Steve gave so much to our physical therapy profession and he will be missed so very much. My deepest sympathies to Bruce, and Steve's family and friends. Patty Rode

Posted by Patricia Rode -> CFP\ on 3/8/2015 9:19 AM

• What a loss to the profession and to his family! Steve contributed so much to the profession over the years; his presentations and discussions were always very helpful. He had a had profound impact on the foundations of physical therapy. All physical therapists and anyone involved with the profession benefit from his contributions and he will be greatly missed!

Posted by Gwen Stamper -> >OP\? on 3/10/2015 6:40 AM

• Steve's passion, contributions and energy for life and the people and profession he held dear were an inspiration to me and so many others. Steve, I will miss our banter as it was always fun and ended up always being predictably educational and meaningful for me. Thoughts and prayers to Bruce, Helene and the rest of your family.

Posted by Scott Ward on 3/11/2015 3:45 PM

• What a terrible loss. I was fortunate to get to work with Steve on several occasions. He was always warm, kind, and genuine. He was the kind of leader that makes others want to serve the profession by following his example. My condolences to his family. Steve will be terribly missed!!!

Posted by Julie Tilson on 3/11/2015 4:06 PM

• We have all lost a National PT Treasure... So many have lost a colleague, a mentor, a teacher... Many have lost a dear and generous friend... Helene has lost both a dear friend & business partner... Steve's family has lost a loved one... Bruce has lost his life partner... My deepest sympathy to all...

Posted by Lynn Steffes on 3/11/2015 4:43 PM

• No words..... Just profound sadness for this loss and gratitude for all Steve did for our profession (and for me personally when I started my private practice). God bless his family and friends in their grief.

Posted by Nancy Roberge on 3/11/2015 4:56 PM

• I was lucky enough to know Steve over the past few years on my journey to becoming a physical therapist. He was a great person to emulate as a young professional. He will be missed.

Posted by Daniel C Brown on 3/11/2015 5:03 PM

• I am shocked and saddened to hear of Steve's passing. He will be missed as a champion of our profession. My condolences to his husband and family.

Posted by John Romero on 3/11/2015 5:24 PM

• So grateful for the opportunity to have met a person so passionate about our profession and willing to assume a leadership role in our movement in the medical practice. Thank you for your dedication Stephen!

Posted by Mitzi Nash, PT, DPT on 3/11/2015 7:48 PM

• Stephen Levine was inspiring and motivating to achieve success in my private practice. Easily approachable at any time, friendly and compassionate he was w great human being. Great loss to our profession and to us. May the lord of peace comfort and strengthen Bruce and his family during this most difficult time.

Posted by Babu Moses PT,Dsc, ECS on 3/11/2015 8:24 PM

• I always took advantage of opportunities to hear Steve speak on the topic of our profession, our documentation and how to make a better world for our patients in our care. I am saddened by the news of our loss. Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends. He will surely be missed by all.

Posted by Beth Hicks on 3/11/2015 9:19 PM

• Even for those of us who did not know Steve very well, he always greeted us at conference and spent time talking to so many of us about our concerns. He gave of himself to help us throughout the years and he will be so missed.

Posted by Debra Rasansky on 3/11/2015 9:47 PM

• What more can be said? Steve was loved and will be missed as a friend, colleague, leader and mentor. My heart goes out to Steve's family and especially Bruce. I hope you find some peace in knowing what a great person your spouse was.

Posted by Kay Scanlon on 3/12/2015 9:08 AM

• My heart is saddened with the news of Steve's passing. Such a loss both personally and professionally for many. My thoughts and prayers are with his husband Bruce and their families.

Posted by Debbie Giovannozzi on 3/12/2015 9:32 AM

• Such an enormous loss for our profession. Steve's dedication and passion for the betterment of physical therapy will be felt.

Posted by Lora Davis on 3/12/2015 10:01 PM

• My prayers goes to the family at this difficult time. The strength and support from the family will lead to healing as the years goes by. Thank you Dr. Levine for all your contribution to our field. Agnes PT,DPT

Posted by Agnes Banez on 3/13/2015 2:48 AM

• Steve was an inspiration and mentor to many in our profession, both veteran therapists and students alike! The profession will be forever grateful for his contributions and passion.

Posted by Vicky Humphrey on 3/13/2015 9:39 AM

• I was shocked and sad by the news of Steve's death. Such a vibrate person and passion overflowing for his work. I loved being in the House when he was Speaker, he kept it light and helped us all to shape our profession for the future. You will be missed.

Posted by Lisa Stoehr, PTA on 3/17/2015 2:00 PM