• CDC: 2 in 10 Health Care Workers Didn't Get Flu Vaccines; 3 in 10 in Long-Term Care Settings

About 20% of health care personnel didn't receive influenza vaccines during the 2015-2016 flu season, with employees in long-term care settings reporting an even higher—albeit improved—rate of non-vaccination, according to new data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The report, based on an opt-in Internet panel survey of 2,258 health care personnel during March and April 2016, found that the overall rates didn't change much between the 2014-2015 and most recent flu season, with the most recent 79% rate more or less unchanged from the previous year's rate of 77.3%. Among settings, personnel working in hospital settings reported a higher rate of vaccination (91.2%) compared with those working in ambulatory care (79.8%) and long-term care (69.2%) settings.

Not surprisingly, vaccination rates were highest among workers whose facility required vaccination (96.5%), but that rate fell to less than half (44.9%) for personnel whose employers didn't require, promote, or offer onsite vaccination programs. Coverage was highest among physicians (95.6%) and lowest among assistants and aides (64.1%). Physical therapists (PTs) and physical therapist assistants (PTAs) were not specifically listed in the data, but "other, clinical" was listed at a 94.4% overall rate.

The only real gains from the 2014-2015 flu season and the most recent season were made in personnel working in long-term care settings, where vaccination rates rose from 63.9% to 69.2%. Authors of the CDC report described vaccinations in these settings as "especially important because influenza vaccination effectiveness is generally lowest in the elderly."

CDC researchers link the lack of vaccination coverage to employers who don't require, promote, or offer onsite vaccination, writing that "health care personnel working in long-term care settings consistently are the least likely to report that their employer either required or promoted vaccination, or made vaccination available at no cost." In long-term care settings, 40.6% respondent reported that their employer offered no onsite vaccination or promotion.

Infectious disease control should never be an afterthought. Check out APTA's resources at its Infectious Disease Control webpage.

Comments

• Have they done a study of the percentage of those that went unvaccinated, how many had the flu.? Would also like to see the percentages broken out by age groups.

Posted by Jerry Kaufman on 10/12/2016 4:59 PM

• Ah yes, the annual flu vaccine propagandizing begins. Polio vaccine, I can see. Flu vaccine. Uh, no. http://www.naturalhealth365.com/flu-shot-thimerosal-flumist-1232.html And there are more reasons than these NOT to get one. Do your research folks and don't blindly be oone of the sheeple.

Posted by Brian Miller on 10/12/2016 8:49 PM

• And if everyone else is vaccinated why do I? I am not a threat to them but they are to me? I have never gotten a flu vaccine and hope never to get one. The Navy saw to it that I received at least 10 on my first day. Within 3 days I was sicker than I had been in my life. My son nearly died from an MMR vaccine d/t acute respiratory failure 6 hours hours after getting the shot. This is all about control and toxic poisoning a generation. This is not right. We have the right to defend and protect our own body. No federal or state agency has any right to force me to inject an unknown chemical into my body. For any reason. The potential for injury is far too great to vs the very minimal possibility that you will prevent the flu. And yes, I had the H1N1 flu several years ago and lived to tell about. I did not pass it on to my family or my patients as I recognized immediately I will ill and isolated my self. That's what responsible people do. Not blindly follow their government mandate because someone tells them to. Brian Miller has it right.

Posted by Jeff Brooks PT on 10/29/2016 7:40 PM

• I'm one of those MANDATED to get the vaccine or lose my job!! Where's my right to freedom of what goes in my body when the same patients I'm working with have a right to opt out! How about making it mandatory for everyone who enters the building to get one before visiting their loved one! Can't do that can they!! Usually, it's the visitors who bring it in in the first place! Going from room to room shaking hands and never washing or sanitizing in between residents! I've even treated someone who got Guillian~Barre from a vaccination! Not a pleasant experience! With ALL the data out there stating how ineffective the shots really are I loathe the whole mandatory 'get it or lose your job' and just let me go back to opting out like I used to.

Posted by Michelle White COTA on 10/31/2016 10:11 AM

• Aquired immunity seems much more sustainable.....someone said: "There is nothing to fear but fear itself". That is the only thing the CDC is dishing out....fear! They never talk about prevention or how to build a strong immune system....wonder why?

Posted by Howardsleggs on 11/1/2016 11:01 AM

• How many unvaccinated people succumbed to the flu vs. vaccinated people? Age group and health habits need to be considered, indeed. Unpopular research that indicates the flu vaccine may not be worth the expense and complications seems to never reach the mainstream.

Posted by Kim M. Yea on 11/2/2016 8:26 AM

• Yes sign up to get your yearly dose of of cancer. No thanks. The vaccine industry is no longer about health, but profit. They will make a vaccine for the common cold and say "20 people a year die from this, do you want that"? That industry is out of control. I'm fully vaccinated and have a learning disability in math. My ears are destroyed from all the infections I had as a kid. I also have lymph nodes that swell up all the time and go away with no apparent cause. And I'm currently figuring out if I have an intentional auto immune disorder. I believe these vaccines are the root cause of my poor health.

Posted by Pierrette on 1/25/2017 3:55 PM

• how many people that didn't get the flu shot got the flu VS. people that did get the flu shot

Posted by Shelby Hood on 3/9/2017 4:44 PM

• one May get sick from another flustrain then one is injected with. makes absolutely no sence - other then spending monies on for a flushot.

Posted by ilse on 11/1/2017 5:23 PM

• I wish I could unvaccinat my kids and myself. At least I was wised up and said no to Guardasil. I will always encourage new moms to do their research. Keep spreading the word!

Posted by Didi Allen on 12/14/2018 3:11 PM