• Study: 61% of Opioid-Related Deaths Linked to Chronic Pain Diagnosis

In a study that underscores the need to rethink pain treatment in the US, researchers have found that more than 6 out of 10 individuals who died of an opioid-related cause had received a diagnosis for a chronic noncancer pain condition within the preceding year. The same group was also more likely to have been diagnosed with psychiatric disorders and prescribed psychotropic medications--including benzodiazepines, which can increase the risk of death when combined with opioids.

The study, published in the American Journal of Psychiatry (abstract only available for free), focused on 13,089 opioid-related deaths among Medicaid patients under 65 years old. Researchers divided the decedents into 2 groups—those who had received a chronic noncancer pain diagnosis in the year preceding death, and those who didn't—and looked at other clinical diagnoses, filled medical prescriptions, and nonfatal poisonings during the 12 months preceding death as well as 30 days before death.

Among the findings:

• Out of the 13,089 decedents included in the study, 61.5% were diagnosed with a chronic pain condition in the year preceding death. Within the chronic pain group, 59.3% were diagnosed with back pain, 24.5% with headaches, and 6.9% with neuropathies. Authors write that "virtually all the decedents in the chronic pain group were also diagnosed with other bodily pain conditions." Decedents in the chronic pain group were more likely to be female and white
    • Overall, 66.1% of decedents filled opioid prescriptions during the last 12 months, and 61.6% filled prescriptions for benzodiazepines—the class of drugs typically used to treat anxiety. During the last 30 days of life, decedents diagnosed with chronic pain were more likely to fill 1 or more prescriptions for opioids (49%) and benzodiazepines (52.1%) than the nonpain group (17.2% and 26.6%, respectively).
    • Decedents with a pain diagnosis were about twice as likely as those without a diagnosis to have experienced a nonfatal overdose during the 12 months prior to death.
    • In the chronic pain group, 45.6% of the fatal opioid poisonings were from natural and semisynthetic opioids, and 16.7% from other synthetic opioids. Among nonpain decedents the rates were 39% and 12.2%, respectively.
    • Within the last 12 months of life, the chronic pain group was more likely than the nonpain group to receive a mental health diagnosis, including drug use disorder (40.8% compared with 22.1%), depression disorder (29.6% compared with 13%), and anxiety disorder (25.8% compared with 8.4%). Authors note that although a diagnosis of substance use disorder was relatively common among both groups, a specific diagnosis of opioid use disorder was not—only 14.7% in the pain group, and 11.8% in the nonpain group.

Authors highlighted the prevalence of opioid prescriptions within the last 30 days of life as a particular concern, pointing out that the 36.8% average far exceeds the 8.8% average among all Americans for filling a prescription for an analgesic over a 30-day period. "This pattern raises the possibility that health care professionals may frequently be proximal sources of opioids in fatal overdoses," they write.

The researchers also asserted that given the high rate of mental health diagnoses, particularly among the pain group, health providers need to be particularly wary of prescribing benzodiazepines with opioids. They write that physicians should limit opioid and benzodiazepine coprescribing "to patients for whom alternative strategies have proven inadequate, carefully monitoring for sedation and respiratory depression, and limiting such coprescription to the minimum clinically required dosage and duration."

The study lends support to the idea that reliance on opioids for noncancer pain treatment is helping to fuel the opioid crisis in the US—a crisis that APTA is helping to address through its #ChoosePT opioid awareness campaign. The campaign is aimed at informing consumers that physical therapy is an effective alternative to drugs for the treatment of pain. Housed at MoveForwardPT.com/ChoosePT, #ChoosePT includes a video public service announcement, as well as other targeted advertising and media outreach. Members can also learn more about the PT's role in pain management through offerings on PTNow, including a webpage with resources for pain management and an opioid awareness checklist.

Research-related stories featured in PT in Motion News are intended to highlight a topic of interest only and do not constitute an endorsement by APTA. For synthesized research and evidence-based practice information, visit the association's PTNow website.

Comments

• These statistics are stunning and show how inadequately we currently address chronic pain conditions! We must be careful to note however that this study focuses on opioid deaths among Medicaid patients. There may be many other opioid deaths among people not enrolled in Medicaid whose characteristics could substantially alter conclusions about medical vs. social risk factors.

Posted by Rebecca States on 11/29/2017 3:34 PM

• In our outpatient facility: A high percentage of our patient population are our Veterans from WWII to most recent Iraq,Afghanistan and other venues of conflict. We definitely see higher dosages and greater access to the "program " of taking the opioid classes of medications. Some are told that you must take the medications to be in the program. In our patient population as a whole we see too many patients after failing in "pain management" finally requesting PT services.

Posted by Charles Donley,PT on 11/29/2017 4:17 PM

• 8.8% of the general population gets prescribed an analgesic every month. That statistic can't be correct. If if it is 8.8% of the medicaid population, that is really high.

Posted by Herbert L Silver on 11/30/2017 6:35 AM

• Unfortunately this study does little to actually link chronic pain treatment to opioid overuse and risk for overdose. Its flaw is limiting its scope to simply the categorization of having a "chronic pain diagnosis", but says nothing about the setting when this diagnosis was conferred--was it by ortho, neuro, or pain mangement itself? Did they have MRI's or other diagnostics actually backing up this diagnosis? Those who are pill-seeking and at highest risk for overdose often report to ER's, urgent cares, and the like. If these patients have a few visits, they will almost always have a chronic pain diagnosis. If you say you've had back pain for 6 months, whether you get opiates or not, you'll get such a diagnosis if only for coding's sake. When it's your chief complaint and something as subjective as pain, it's your diagnosis.

Posted by CJ on 11/30/2017 10:08 PM

• Insurance companies and Medicare do everything in their power to discourage patients from accessing and utilizing non-pharma pain treatments. PTs out there, you know how you have to ration Medicare coverage for your patients with chronic conditions. Our politicians will decry the opioid crisis and all those addicts out there, while Medicare continues to reduce it's PT and chiropractic coverage. What did they think would happen?

Posted by Catherine Cretu on 2/1/2018 12:00 PM

• With dose reductions patients get fed up with fighting to not be in pain. You can only be treated like a drug addict by your doctor, your pharmacist, and now the government so long until you give up and end the pain....

Posted by Jay on 6/5/2018 9:28 PM

• death is unimportant when you have chronic pain it would be a relif

Posted by jacki on 8/24/2018 2:44 AM

• I was diagnosed with RA approximately 12 years ago. I am fortunate enough to receive care through the VA. With standard treatments I have also been on various opioids for over 10 years too. The VA in response has decided to take ALL opioid pain meds off the table. My pain is now more from damage done in the first 5 to 8 years of my diagnosis. I, even with the prescribed opiates am NEVER without pain. I have never abused my meds, I have never Od'ed or taken other drugs in combination with my prescription. I know my body and I am uber aware of my limits. I function at a relatively high level all considered. If taken off all pain meds I will have no choice but to seek other avenues of releif. A blanket fix all for pain management will not work. I guarantee there will be many more drug related deaths if the VA continues this BS!

Posted by Larry E. Barr on 9/22/2018 12:01 AM

• I have been taking an opiate for over 25 years, and it is the only med that helps take the edge off of my pain. I must admit that they give me more energy and relief than anything else. I am taking less now because of my pain clinic, I don't receive what I believe is the correct amount for the pain I'm in. The doctors are afraid to prescribe what their patients need do to government interference and the epidemic of drug abuse. However those of us that need it to function to get through the day are suffering. I know when I'm in pain and need medication but I don't get that choice any more. I can only take what's the doctor prescribed, and since the government has stepped in, I suffer along with my family and friends. There is a lot of us out there that need and depend on the relief we get from these drugs. Please don't put us all in the same category, I'm sure people like me that rely on this for pain relief, shouldn't have to suffer because of the drug addicts out there. Once you have been on this med for over 10+ years you should be left alone.

Posted by Donald Cunningham on 11/3/2018 9:12 AM