• Are You Getting CARES Act Provider Relief? How to Find Out (and What You'll Need to Do After You Receive It)

Want to know if you'll be receiving a provider relief payment? Wondering what's expected of you once you do? These resources can help.

The $30 billion emergency fund created under the most recent COVID-19 relief package began being distributed to health care providers on April 10, but not all eligible providers have received funds yet. Those who do receive money need to agree to the program's terms and conditions.

Here's what you need to know.

If you're wondering whether you'll receive a payment based on your 2019 Medicare fee-for-service reimbursements total: HHS partnered with UnitedHealth Group to deliver the stimulus payments. If you haven’t yet received a payment or need to find out if you're eligible, call UHG's provider relations department at 866-569-3522.

Tip: If you haven't set up direct deposit through CMS or UHG's Optum Pay and you qualify for funds, you'll receive a paper check at a later date. You can set up direct deposit by calling the UHG number listed above.

If you received a stimulus payment (or know that a payment's coming to you) and wonder what happens next: Providers who received payment are required to attest that they've received the funds and agree to the program's terms and conditions within 30 days of receiving the funds. You can do that by visiting the CARES Act Provider Relief Fund Payment Attestation Portal.

[Editor's note: you can find more details on the program in this April 22 PT in Motion News story.]

Comments

• Has APTA been able to clarify if the payments are only intended for those PT's providing "front line" care for COVID-19 patients as stated in the guidelines versus PT's impacted financially by the pandemic? We haven't treated any patients with the virus in our outpatient office but have seen a dramatic reduction in patient load due to the virus. We did receive a payment deposit 4/17/2020. Thanks!

Posted by Dennis Eldridge -> >OSa?K on 4/18/2020 10:08 AM

• I work in SNF, I have not had a patient with the virus that I’m aware of, some of our patients still go out for dialysis and various appointments, so I don’t know if I have been exposed to it or not. A reduction in new admissions to the nursing home which a reduce in working hours for is. Are we concerned Front line and essential workers?

Posted by Juanita Hall, PTA on 4/20/2020 1:47 PM

• I have the same question. Has there been an answer or clarification? Thanks for any info. I had purchased added sanitation supplies and even more on the way to prepare to reopen when possible but will not equal the payment for awhile. Not clear

Posted by Patricia Scott -> @NS\@ on 4/20/2020 4:45 PM

• Is it ok to keep the payment if we have not treated any COVID-19 patients for that diagnosis directly? We have had a decrease in patient caseload and moved all patients to telehealth due to COVID-19, but we are not on the front line. Thank you for the clarification.

Posted by Traci Schmidt on 4/20/2020 5:44 PM

• I would echo the question as to if the payments are only intended for "front line covid providers". We are not seeing covid patients (that we know of but we cannot test them) in our pediatric clinic. However, we are almost ready to close the doors because we are seeing only 25% of our usual volume and most of the insurance carriers have not paid us for any services for a month as they are delaying payments blaming it on covid. Thank you so much. 4/20/20

Posted by Dorsey Beggs MD on 4/20/2020 6:15 PM

• Is it ok to keep the payment if we have not treated any COVID-19 patients for that diagnosis directly? We are not seeing covid patients in our Independent Diagnostic Testing Facilities (IDTF's). However, we are seeing a significant drop in our usual volume. Thank you. 4/21/20

Posted by Lisa Nelson on 4/21/2020 9:45 AM

• "These are payments, not loans, with no repayment obligations. The funds are being distributed to eligible provider’s billing tax identification number (TIN) using direct deposit information on file with United, Optum, or Medicare (with “HHSPAYMENT” or “HHS Stimulus” as the payment descriptor), or via paper check for those providers who normally receive their Medicare reimbursement by check. To receive the funds, healthcare entities and providers are not required to have treated patients specifically diagnosed with COVID-19 (HHS broadly views every patient as a possible case of COVID-19). Providers must agree not to seek collection of out-of-pocket payments from a COVID-19 patient that are greater than what the patient would have otherwise been required to pay if the care had been provided by an in-network provider. HHS requires providers to attest to receipt of the funds and agree to terms via an attestation portal, which opened April 16, 2020, on the HHS.gov website. Attestation must occur within 30 days of receipt of the funds. Healthcare entities who received funds should keep track of how the monies are spent as HHS can request documentation from the entity to prove funds were spent in alignment with their approved purpose." https://www.elliottdavis.com/cares-act-department-health-human-services-distributes-stimulus-healthcare-providers/

Posted by Brie Tomberlin on 4/21/2020 3:45 PM

• Payments are made for Physician regardless of whether they have treated a COVID patient or not. Many have already received the email to attest which means your payment has been sent to you bank account set up with Medicare. The problem is some physicians are not showing up with disbursement amount. If you are not showing as receiving payment you will be allowed to fill out an "application" , but the website is not up yet. Keep checking back under the Grant area of the HHS page. This is the latest info I received from the phone number listed above.

Posted by Rose Mendoza on 4/21/2020 4:57 PM

• Since 30 Billion dollars (70 billion still to come) has been allocated from CARES Act for Home Health Agencies are eligible to receive based on their Medicare reimbursement from 2019 billing that was generated from rehab pros such as myself a PT, OTRs, Nurses, and HHAs. These agencies are receiving this funding, but of the 6 different agencies I work for in FL Keys none have contacted me regarding PPP?.  Aren't therapists eligible to receive an average of their monthly income over a 12 months from each of their employers as PPP?

Posted by Hesham Ace Ismail on 4/24/2020 6:27 AM

• @Hesham: The CARES Act provider relief fund was allocated to the billing organization based on the TIN filing information. It’s up to each entity’s leadership as to how the money will then be distributed. This is separate and unrelated to the Paycheck Protection Program. For information about the PPP, please see: https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/coronavirus-relief-options/paycheck-protection-program

Posted by APTA staff on 4/24/2020 7:52 AM

• We are a rehab company and we subcontract with 160 home health agencies. We are starting to get patients with the COVID diagnosis. Do we qualify for Provider Relief?

Posted by Vazira Kanga on 4/25/2020 8:12 PM

• I am in good standing with Medicare and being a solo cardiologist that is the bulk of my care. I tried to apply on the website and then called United health group. They said I do not qualify although my colleagues in the same area with similar practices have already got the assistance 2 to 3 weeks back. I do not know what the hold-up is or how to proceed or talk to someone about it

Posted by Manoj Khatore on 4/26/2020 6:55 PM

• I have the same question at Manoj Khatore. I am a sole proprietor LLC with 10 employees and bill medicare fee for service for 25 years. I also tried to apply on the website (said I didn't qualify) and called United Health Group (they said no payment was coming to me). Many of my colleagues with similar practices got payment 2-3 weeks ago. How do I proceed? United Health cannot do anything and I cannot reach HHS to ask this question. Ideas for resolving this?

Posted by Kathryn Schwartz on 4/27/2020 9:20 AM

• @Vazira: Eligibility for the “General” distribution is limited to providers who “billed Medicare in 2019 and provide or provided after January 31, 2020 diagnoses, testing, or care for individuals with possible or actual cases of COVID-19.” For additional information: https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/cares-act-provider-relief-fund/index.html and https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/20200425-general-distribution-portal-faqs.pdf

Posted by APTA staff on 4/28/2020 6:41 AM

• @Kathryn: @Kathryn: All relief payments are made to the billing organization according to its Taxpayer Identification Number used to bill Medicare. To be eligible for the initial $30 billion followed by the additional $20 billion distribution, a provider must have billed Medicare in 2019 and provide or provided after January 31, 2020 diagnoses, testing, or care for individuals with possible or actual cases of COVID-19. HHS broadly views every patient as a possible case of COVID-19. Medicare providers who have already received a payment from the Provider Relief Fund are now eligible to apply for the additional $20 billion funds by submitting data about their annual revenues and estimated COVID-related losses via the Provider Relief Fund Application Portal. Providers who have not yet received any payment from the Provider Relief Fund should not use the General Distribution Portal. However, providers who have not yet received any payments from the Provider Relief Fund may still receive funds in other distributions. If you haven’t yet received a payment or need to find out if you're eligible, call UHG's provider relations department at 866-569-3522. If UHG tells you that they cannot find your TIN, but you are a Medicare provider who received reimbursement in 2019 and you believe you’re eligible – please email COVID-19@cms.hhs.gov and explain the issue. In your email, please also be sure to share with them that you received Medicare reimbursement between October-December 2019 and include your business name and TIN. Please also consider contacting your Members of Congress to bring this to their attention. • For additional information, see: http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/2020/04/22/CARESActDetails/ http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/2020/4/24/20BillionProviderRelief/ http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/2020/4/27/CMSSuspendsAAP/

Posted by APTA staff on 4/28/2020 7:55 AM

• I don't believe there is any way for us to get past the gate keepers at HHS to find out why we are one of those not receiving the Cares Relief Funding. UHC people told me we are not listed with our TIN 33-068-3831. I have been a Medicare provider for thirty seven years and meet all the requirements for Cares Act Provider Relief. Jeanne Doran

Posted by jeanne doran on 5/1/2020 7:00 PM

• I am a Primary care provider who was employed by a group for 10 yrs. I changed my jobs in nov 2019. Chief of my private corporation should have received money on my behalf as i was a contributor to the medicare billing for the group in 2019 upto november. i am a part of a new group in the same town. i am seeing a lot of Covid Pts. Should I be asking my previous group for my share of the relief fund?

Posted by arvind suri on 5/3/2020 8:06 AM

• @Jeanne: If UHG is not able to provide assistance, please email COVID-19@cms.hhs.gov. Explain the issue, provide your business name, TIN, address, and contact information, and ask that the email be forwarded to the appropriate HHS staff. Additionally, you should reach out to your Members of Congress to bring this to their attention, provide your business name, TIN, address, and contact information, and ask that they investigate this further.

Posted by APTA staff on 5/4/2020 8:21 AM

• @Arvind: Per the HHS website: Individual physicians and providers in a group practice are unlikely to receive individual payments directly, as the group practice will receive the relief fund payment as the billing organization. Providers should look to the part of their organization that bills Medicare to identify details on Medicare payments for 2019 or to identify the accounts where they should expect relief payments. https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/cares-act-provider-relief-fund/index.html

Posted by APTA staff on 5/4/2020 8:23 AM

• I also own a small 2 person PT practice - have been receiving payment from Medicare for 26 years. NO HHS Stimulus money. HHG cannot find my tax ID #- I have called each week. I emailed COVID-19@cms.hhs.gov on April 27th and still no reply whatsoever. Please let me know what more I can do. HHS is offering second round payments without taking care of professionals in the first round without any answer as to why not.

Posted by Theresa Bowers on 5/4/2020 9:44 AM

• Thanks for info! re: not being eligible for the payment- is it possible that a provider is deemed ineligible because they owe Medicare refunds of overpayments?

Posted by James Weaver on 5/4/2020 9:49 PM

• @Theresa: Please also reach out to your Members of Congress to bring this to their attention, provide your business name, TIN, address, and contact information, and ask that they investigate this further.

Posted by APTA staff on 5/5/2020 7:46 AM

• @James: According to HHS, all facilities and providers that received Medicare fee-for-service (FFS) reimbursements in 2019 are eligible for this initial rapid distribution.

Posted by APTA staff on 5/5/2020 7:47 AM

• I have gotten my weekly payment the last two weeks separate from my biweekly unemployment comp. But I have not received it for this week yet, the last two checks came to me 4/28 and 5/5, I shouldve gotten another yesterday 5/12

Posted by Scott on 5/13/2020 11:31 AM

• I haven’t received neither of them

Posted by Carlos myles on 5/19/2020 10:11 PM

• @Carlos: Please visit this webpage for more information: https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/cares-act-provider-relief-fund/index.html, including who is eligible for payments through this fund. If you haven’t yet received a payment or need to find out if you're eligible, call UHG's provider relations department at 866-569-3522.

Posted by APTA staff on 5/20/2020 9:03 AM

• Are mental health providers who have Master's degrees and who primarily see medicaid covered clients, eligible for thie money, as my practice has been impacted by COVID19.

Posted by Paul A Johnson on 6/1/2020 9:41 PM