• Wednesday, May 25, 2011RSS Feed

Baby Boomer PTs: Share Your 'Mobility Story' With APTA

Visit APTA's Move Forward brand booth #700 at Annual Conference during unopposed exhibit hours June 9-11 and provide a quick video sound bite in response to 1 of the questions found below. APTA wants to know how you’ve maintained your mobility over the years and what your advice may be to fellow Boomers. Your story may be used as part of a video montage on www.moveforwardpt.com to show how physical therapists "walk the walk" when it comes to age and mobility. It also will support APTA’s broader Move Forward branding initiative aimed at positioning physical therapists as the go-to resource when it comes to mobility.

The 4 questions from which you can select to respond are:

1. What is the single most important piece of advice you could give consumers about staying fit as you age?
    2. How have you overcome age-related mobility challenges?
    3. Why is physical activity so important, especially as you get older?
    4. Why do you think it’s important for baby boomers to work with a physical therapist to stay fit?

Comments

May I answer these questions in this comment section. I will not be able to attend the meeting. I have an unusual story to tell. I am 64 and doing back bends, summersaults, and hiking mountains, 10 mile in one day. Bonnie S Carr, PT, MS
    Posted by Bonnie S Carr on 5/26/2011 9:58 AM
    I will not be able to attend, but wanted to respond. I am 56 and play sports to keep moving. I compete in volleyball, softball, golf and bowling as well as hike and work out. With sports, I have been able to keep physically and mentally fit.
    Posted by nancy bullett on 5/27/2011 4:00 PM
    Bonnie S, we want to hear more about your story! http://www.prorehabpc.com/blog/
    Posted by PRORehab on 5/27/2011 4:44 PM
    1) What is the single most important piece of advice you could give consumers about staying fit as you age? a) To quote my wife: "A body in motion tends to stay in motiion." b) Go easy into unknown waters; Your response to new exercise is a important as performing the exercise itself c) Con-sider strength training to develop the weight-reducing, slow- twitch muscles with high reps, low loads and good form. Avoid initial bulk weight traiing. d) A post-exercise cool-down is when you will get the most stretch. Spend a while doing a cool-down. e) Avoid "testosterone poisoning" (the non-gender specific form. You are no spring checken; don't write check that your body cant cash. If you overdraw your account, there will be a penality to pay at the body bank. f) Consider the "Rule of Opposites": "Inhibit the facilitated and facilitate the inhibited. Stretch the shortened and strengthen the lengthened." 2) How have you overcome age-related mobility challenges? I became a Type II, Insulin Dependent Diabetic. That disease defines me, my limitations, and my need to be adaptable. I consider my MS responses to healing. But, the biggest thing is that I have a number of chronic orthopedic issues. When I am injured, the PT gets the tissues ready for rehab, and I do it. Specific exercise ,specific to the injury and collaterial issuea are the focus. But, since I have often walked-the-walk, I let folks know what the gauntlet might look like when they face it and how to minimize the discomfort until next visit. I make sure that the client understands the difference between their familiar pain, and the collateral responses.they might feel in a few days. I let them know that they are not on autopilot, and they need to do their home program like I have ot do. 3) Why is physical activity so important, especially as you get older? The medical training that PTs have give us a perspective on dealing, not only with the injury, but the subsequent responses to the body as the result of an injury or conditon. The body has made to accommodate PTs are more inclined to consider the co-morbidities with the patient,but not a direct part of the problem. Our training provides knowledge to treat from the neurologically involved pediatric patient, to to treating Olympic Level competitors safely. 4) Why do you think it’s important for baby boomers to work with a physical therapist to stay fit? We, as Physical Therapists, have a long history of being educated through programs credentialled by the APTA; those standards are maintained through the accreditiation and re-accreditation process of the APTA. Our standards of care are established by the respective states practice acts. We are experts in rehabilitation who are bound under a Code of Ethics. It is important to work w/ us because we Evaluate before we act. Other professions don't hav that skill set. Even if we are just watching someone move, we subconciously evaluate. We can specifically assess problems (both MS and Neuro)better that any non-PT professional. We are used to working with individuals who may have co-morbidities that, if not considered in the development of an exercise program, may suffer moreharm than good. We can mosify exercises to achieve desired responses from the perspective of challenge and/or repetition. We know how to pre-position an individual so as to achieve the best potential outcome. And we police ourselves to keep our standards high We can do all of this. Our problem is that the general public still doesn't think about going to the PT first. Look in the Suffix list of most air lines at reseration. Everyone and their mother's dog oftenhas abbreviations for PT, but not the PT (or do I need to change air lines?). I think that this si a sign of limited public recognition. When I see a n article about exercise in the newspaper, it tends to be by an ATC or "personal trainer". Why aren't PTs the first that are contacted for saft training information? Perhaps it is bacause insurtance companies still demand that a physician is seen in order to get an Rx for PT reimbursed, and most folks want to just get busy? I believe that, until we can fugure that part out, we may be howling at the moon>
    Posted by Stephen Winters, PT, MS on 5/27/2011 5:47 PM
    About 8 years ago I was diagnosed with OA in my R great toe so I stopped running, put on 40 pounds and couldn't seem to get rid of it. That created some additional medical issues including sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I started cycling with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's TEAM in Training in honor of my oldest sister who is now a 13 year survivor. I trained for and completed 3 century bicycle rides and lost 20 pounds. I thought I would try a half marathon which I completed also with TEAM in Training 3 1/2 years ago. I have since run 3 more half marathons and one full marathon. I am presently training for my third full marathon coming up in June. I weigh less than I have in 25 years (and less than it says on my drivers license) and I plan to complete the Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage faster than the first marathon I did at age 28. I will be 55 three days after this marathon. I consider myself to be in the best shape of my life and I am also a one year breast cancer survivor. My best advice is "keep moving." I have seen far too many patients who want to "take a pill" to get better and do not invest in their own abilities and therefore lose those abilities.
    Posted by Taylor Reed, PT on 5/27/2011 11:14 PM
    At 54, I continue to live and give this advice; listen to your body! I am always monitoring my fitness level by how my body responds, No pain, no gain doesn't work, so take care to hear what your body is telling you about activity, intensity, and recovery. I continue to hike, climb, bike and ski; Using physical therapy tools like stretching, strengthening (especially core) and taping (McConnell or kinesio) has allowed me to continue these activities without injuty or pain.
    Posted by Donna Lannan on 5/28/2011 6:35 AM
    I'm a young boomer at 50 but discovered Zumba last year. This is a great cardio and toning activity which is a so much fun! I often find that an hour will fly by and I've just been able to stay limber and knock off at least 600 calories!
    Posted by Donna Schhnatz on 5/28/2011 9:52 AM
    Most people do not wear out they rust out,or break parts. KEEP MOVING !!LEARN TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!! LEARN SOMETHING NEW OR HONE SOME SKILL OR PASSION. I have kept in shape by doing 45 minutes to an hour of exercise every morning. when I can't get to the gym, or rollarblade. The variety includes kick boxing, weight training,yoga,pilates,hip hop dance, anything that strikes my mood. Yes, there maybe injuries, but investing in your one and only body certainly is worth while The goal is to stay independant as possible for as long as possible and have fun along the way!!
    Posted by Rhoda Smith on 5/28/2011 5:34 PM
    Won't be able to attend the Annual Conference this year, but here's my 2 cents worth. I've always participated in some type of exercise class - step, kickboxing, jazzercize - whatever was popular at the time. I've walked, lifted weights, biked - anything to keep up my strength and mobility. A few years ago, I discovered a class called "Body Flow" which is a combination of Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates, and I love it! I never knew Yoga could be that challenging! Over time I've become stronger and more flexible than I ever was doing anything else. And it includes balance work, which becomes more important as we age. I work in pediatrics, which requires you to use your whole body in treatment. There is a lot of lifting, getting up and down off the floor, and moving your body into a lot of different positions so Yoga has been a great fit for me. I do a lot of gardening, which requires a lot of the same lifting, bending and stretching. I also take an additional Pilates class using a Reformer for overall strengthening. I do some really simple things too, like going up and down the steps at work instead of taking the elevator and parking at the far end of the parking lot so I have to walk farther. I'm also part of a small group that works out together once a week at work. Now, I'm considering taking up racket ball! Sure, we may have a few more aches and pains than we used to but as a PT, I know how to manage them. And if I can't do it myself, I go see another PT because I know they can put me on the right path. Who better to treat a PT, than another PT? "Use it or lose it" really applies here. If you want to enjoy life, you've got to stay fit. And you don't have to do everything at the gym. Find things that you like to do that keep you active, and do it! The point is you don't have to
    Posted by Gretchen Meyer on 5/30/2011 9:05 PM
    Working in an early childhood program provides sprint work, lifting/resistance exercise with less than 70 pound bodies, and improvements in flexibility and balance as we work, play, climb on the playground and practice yoga together. Being part of a collaborative team, looking at the world through a child's eyes, administering hugs as needed, and playing improve my emotional health. Creating interesting activities that combine gross motor and academic skills gives me a cognitive work out. On non-work days, I love to garden. I feel like I could do this forever.
    Posted by Pam Chestnut-Kobyra on 5/31/2011 12:01 AM
    Thanks for all your great feedback! If you're attending APTA's upcoming Annual Conference, please stop by booth #700 so we can record your response. We'll be recording at the following times: June 9 - 1-2 pm & 4-5 pm June 10 - 2:45-4:30 pm.
    Posted by News Now staff on 5/31/2011 8:36 AM