• Wednesday, July 20, 2011RSS Feed

Bill Enhances Lymphedema Treatment for Medicare Beneficiaries

Legislation introduced last week by Rep Larry Kissell (NC-D) and 17 other original cosponsors enhances lymphedema coverage and better directs treatment methods for Medicare beneficiaries. Specifically, the Lymphedema Diagnosis and Treatment Cost-Saving Act of 2011 (HR 2499) defines lymphedema diagnosis, treatment, and compression treatment items; clarifies which health care providers can provide treatment; and ensures payment for treatment.

Introduced in the last congressional session, HR 2499 has undergone a number of revisions. APTA Board of Directors member Nicole Stout, PT, MPT, CLT-LANA, led efforts to eliminate additional certification requirements, clarify which providers can provide diagnosis and treatment services, and remove restrictions on garment fitting. The new, streamlined legislative language is less confusing and more flexible. Due to these changes, APTA now supports this legislation.

Read more at this link.

Comments

Thank you for all the effort to bring this to our legislators. It was not clear from the article, but I strongly hope that bandaging supplies will be covered. Bev Ricker, PT
    Posted by Beverly Ricker -> ?JSa<L on 7/21/2011 5:24 PM
    Is there a place we can review the bill in its entirely, or at least be provided with a detailed summary (what will be covered, how much, when, etc?) C. Downing, PT
    Posted by Christie Downing -> >MQcAI on 7/22/2011 4:03 PM
    Where can I go to monitor the progress of this bill? I second the comment by Ms. Ricker that I hope bandaging supplies will be covered. Thank you.
    Posted by Caroline Peyrone -> ?GT^=N on 7/23/2011 2:49 PM
    I too wish there was a spot where we could read the bill in it's entirety. Bandage and supplies are so horribly expensive that coverage is desperately needed.
    Posted by Pat O'[Connor on 7/24/2011 10:07 AM
    Great work! Hopefully this is only the beginning to educate and make legislators aware of what is needed for these patients.
    Posted by Suzanne Cavanaugh on 7/24/2011 12:38 PM
    The bill can be accessed at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr2499ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr2499ih.pdf
    Posted by News Now on 7/25/2011 8:40 AM
    Agree w/ Ms. Ricker! Have never understood how they will pay for the treatment but not the supplies or the garments necessary to perform treatment.
    Posted by Emily Davenport, PT/DPT on 7/25/2011 9:17 AM
    Yay!!!! Our pt.'s need so much help with these financial concerns. This is a great step forward. As with other posts, I really hope that bandages/garments are better covered through this plan. Thank you!
    Posted by Deanna Johnons on 7/25/2011 12:26 PM
    There is a website specifically for this bill - www.LymphedemaTreatmentAct.org - which has a submission form to send letters to your members of Congress asking that they cosponsor HR 2499, links to read the bill and check it's status in Congress, as well as other simple ways you can support passage of this bill. And yes, all supplies including bandages and compression garments would be covered if this becomes law.
    Posted by Heather Ferguson on 7/27/2011 5:05 PM
    We need each and every PT to email his or her congressman to get them to be co-sponsors of this bill. To get this bill studied, we must have hundreds of Congressmen signed on. You know the difficulties the lymphedema patients live with and encounter. Please check www.LymphedemaTreatmentAct.org for an easy link to your Congressman.
    Posted by Jane Gregerson on 11/9/2011 10:01 PM
    I am not a PT, but I am a lymphedema sufferer and my coverage for compression stockings has been cut off by Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, because GH has changed its plan and relegated all of us elderly to Medicare coverage. I am engaging the campaign. I live with a PT who is active in APTA. I appreciate the APTA!
    Posted by Joan Valles on 3/2/2012 8:18 PM
    I would like to thank everyone who is fighting for this bill to be passed. I was diagnosed with lymphedema in August and I start Medicare on December 1st. I will forward this on to my Representative and urge him to put pressure where it is needed to help get this passed. Idaho
    Posted by Ton i on 9/26/2013 9:38 PM