• Thursday, September 08, 2011RSS Feed

New in the Literature: Pregnancy-related Back Pain (Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2011;113:187-91.)

A specific exercise program decreased back pain intensity and increased functional ability during pregnancy in South African women with lumbar and pelvic girdle pain, say authors of an article published in the International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics.

For this study, researchers recruited 50 women between 16 and 24 weeks of pregnancy from the Tygerberg and Paarl Hospitals in Western Cape, South Africa. Twenty-six women were randomized to a 10-week exercise program; 24 were randomized as controls.

Overall, the most frequent type of back pain experienced was lumbar pain (36 [72.0%]). Pain intensity and functional ability were comparable between the groups on study entry. Women in the exercise group experienced significant improvement in pain intensity and improvement in functional ability at the end of the study. In the control group, there were no significant changes in pain intensity or functional ability at the end of the study.

Comments

While I applaud you for your efforts in keeping us informed of new research and treatment ideas, it would be helpful if there was a list of the exercises that were used in this study in order for us to utilize this information in the clinic. I know that I can look up the article and get the information but it would be more applicable if this information was here. Thanks, Jeff
    Posted by Jeff Coverly on 9/9/2011 3:08 PM
    I agree with Jeff's comments. If you want PTs to start applying literature to practice, then you have to actually give them the details of the exercises. That would obviously be the most relevant part of the study.
    Posted by Tony on 9/10/2011 1:41 PM
    I even tried to link back to get this article and it only gives me the abstract.
    Posted by Paige on 9/10/2011 5:23 PM
    I agree with those statements...
    Posted by Marcello on 9/12/2011 12:59 PM
    Jeff is right. I know I am busy and it only makes sense to at least give some details to the actual exercises. That always seems to be a problem. It's like a mystery trying to get to the actual treatment, such as this study and most all other research studies that I see from APTA.
    Posted by Eddie on 9/13/2011 1:24 PM
    My wife has back pain in the lumbar and pelvic area right now while she's pregnant. I'd love to know the exercises as well.
    Posted by NIck Rainey on 9/13/2011 3:40 PM
    I totally agree. I have tried to get the full article to get the exercises to no avail. Has any one found them? Can you please point me in the right direction. Thanks.
    Posted by Hector on 9/16/2011 5:59 AM
    APTA appreciates your seeking of the evidence. As is the case with most research articles highlighted in News Now, the full text of this study is available by subscription only. Copyright protections prohibit APTA from purchasing the article and disseminating the information. When made publicly available, News Now links to full text articles. The weekly New in Literature items are intended to alert readers to research that they may wish to purchase from the publishing journal or obtain through other means, such as databases that are made available to them through their employer and their educational institutions. When searching for articles, APTA members should be aware of the journals available to them through APTA's Open Door, http://www.apta.org/OpenDoor/, which provides full-text access to research and articles from more than 4,000 full text publications. For more information on how to obtain research that is not available free online, see http://www.apta.org/EvidenceResearch/Literature/.
    Posted by News Now on 9/16/2011 5:12 PM
    If you follow the link to PubMed, you'll find more links to the full text sources at the bottom. It's under LinkOut - more resources.
    Posted by Alex on 9/19/2011 5:04 PM