• Friday, March 29, 2013RSS Feed

Otago Exercise Program Now Available in Online Course

The Otago Exercise Program: Training for Physical Therapists is an online course that aims to train physical therapists to integrate the Otago Exercise Program as part of their practice. It is intended to be used in combination with the Otago Exercise Program Manual available as an attachment in this course.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was a key stakeholder whose efforts led to the development of the program manual and this online training format. APTA member Terry Shea, PT, GCS, NCS, has led the effort to translate Otago for use in the United States. She was instrumental in providing content and expertise for creating this online manual and training.

"Fall Risk in Community-Dwelling Elders," a clinical summary in PTNow authored by APTA member Tiffany Shubert, PT, PhD, cites the Otago Exercise Program and links to the program's manual. APTA members also can find a reference to the Otago Exercise Program in PTNow's clinical case on a 70-year-old woman who was referred to a physical therapist for her knee pain and expresses concern about falling. PTNow, APTA's clinician website portal developed in collaboration with sections, moved out of beta in January.

The course is approximately 3 hours and can be started and stopped at the user's convenience. The cost is $25. Completers get 3 contact hours.

Comments

Good morning, I am an OT in Australia. I am very interested in the Otago exercise program and use it in my practice. However, up to now no one has provided any training for this program in Australia. I would like to sign up for your online course. Is this possible?
    Posted by Bettina Schmidt on 4/29/2013 8:26 PM
    Hi, I am an Exercise Physiologist in Australia, same situation and query as that of the previous post.
    Posted by Pieter van der Gaag on 5/31/2013 9:04 AM
    Hi how do I fill in my exercise class planner on line.
    Posted by laura mccarthy on 6/10/2013 4:02 PM
    I am trying to access the Otago Online training program and keep getting the message that the page cannot be displayed ... is this training still available. Thank you.
    Posted by Beth Harrington on 2/24/2014 11:14 AM
    I want to take this course but not sure if I could use it in MA? Is Otago Billable in mA outpatient setting? Thanks! Li Li, DPT, PT
    Posted by Li Li on 8/18/2014 11:40 PM
    I am an OT in Sasaktchewan, Canada and interested in this online course.
    Posted by Deb Kennett Russill on 9/9/2014 3:55 PM
    Interested in this online course In British Columbia
    Posted by Donna Franz on 11/7/2014 3:18 PM
    Hi, how can I obtain the tri-fold OTAGO exercise program booklets to provide my patients? These are handy and helpful for patients? thank you
    Posted by Eileen on 11/20/2014 10:54 AM
    Hi i am going over this program as a group with my team mates.Our company will be rolling out this program.Very useful within my cliental however most of my patients are LTC how can i carry this on for reinbursment
    Posted by Lenora Assing on 11/25/2014 8:39 AM