• Friday, December 07, 2012RSS Feed

Call for Member and Nonmember Volunteers: PTA Education Feasibility Study Work Group

APTA is seeking volunteers to serve on a new work group that will prepare a plan for responding to the House motion on a Feasibility Study for Transitioning to an Entry-Level Baccalaureate Physical Therapist Assistant Degree (RC20-12), including identifying data needs, sources, and collection methods. Members interested in serving on the PTA Education Feasibility Study Work Group must first complete the volunteer profile form found on the Volunteer Interest Pool page (log on to the APTA website before accessing this link). Once the profile is submitted, click on the "Current Volunteer Opportunities" button and select "PTA Education Feasibility Study Work Group" to be considered. Encourage your colleagues, including those involved in the education, work, and career development of PTAs, to serve on this important work group. The deadline for submission is December 31. Interested nonmembers should contact Janet Crosier for assistance.

Comments

I am interested to volunteer in this new work group: PTA Education Feasibility Study Work Group
    Posted by Agnes Sheffey -> CJQZD on 12/7/2012 8:18 PM
    Please count me in for this; I'll be heading over to fill out the volunteer interest form for sure! I think that this would be a great topic for discussion and a good opportunity to start a meaningful and in-depth dialogue about this idea of raising the bar for PTA licensure. As it is, earning a Associate of Science degree/PTA certificate can take 3+ years to complete. By carefully selecting the additional courses specifically tailored to skilled patient care, additional clinical rotation hours, and courses geared toward increasing knowledge of evidence-based practice could really set the bar higher and on par with the level of autonomy and responsibility PTAs currently possess. PTAs are skilled clinicians who are able to lead patients through safe and effective rehabilitation programs as prescribed by a PT. I truly believe this would be a move in a positive direction. I am aware that this will increase the cost and time required to become a licensed PTA but a cost well worth the effort - both for our field and our patients.
    Posted by Danielle Stephens on 12/8/2012 12:28 AM
    Please add my name to the list. My PTA License (required in the state of Illinois) took 3+years with an AAS degree. I am in full support of increasing the program to a Baccalaureate degree with licensing required in all states. I have stated in previous blogs, there is currently only one transitional program based in Ohio. We can and should allow interested PTA's to further their academic career. Thank you! Lisa Zemaitis, licensed PTA, BSHA
    Posted by Lisa Zemaitis -> @MS\?G on 12/8/2012 9:38 AM
    I am very interested in joining the PTA Education Feasibility Study Work Group. I have been a practicing PT for twenty years with supervisory experience of PTAs thru out my career. I would love to see the PTA Associate degree be advanced to a Bachelor's degree!
    Posted by Diana Zarreke -> AKPc>J on 12/9/2012 8:25 PM
    I am READY!! I have filled out the volunteer application and would love this opportunity. Currently I work in a PTA program in TN and this topic comes up often.
    Posted by Amanda McCarrell -> AMS`CM on 12/10/2012 3:23 PM
    I would like to join the Feasibility Study Work Group.I think it is not only time but necessary in our current health care system for the PTA degree to be elevated to a Baccalaureate level.
    Posted by Marie Helene McAndrew PT on 12/11/2012 11:23 PM
    APTA members who wish to be considered for this opportunity must follow the instructions in the article and go through the Volunteer Interest Pool. Nonmembers should contact the person listed in the article via the e-mail link provided. You will not be considered for this work group by simply leaving a comment on this webpage expressing your interest.
    Posted by News Now staff on 12/12/2012 9:09 AM