• Tuesday, March 06, 2012RSS Feed

CSM 2013 to Move to San Diego, January 21-24, 2013

In light of its unprecedented growth over the past few years, APTA's Combined Sections Meeting (CSM) will be held January 21-24, 2013, at the San Diego Convention Center. The meeting had been set for Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville.

Last month's CSM in Chicago drew nearly 13,000 physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, students, and exhibitorsa more than 50% increase in attendance in the last 4 years. With record-breaking attendance year after year, it's clear that CSM is important to members. APTA has worked diligently to find a location that will allow the association to provide a positive experience for as many participants as possible. APTA is looking forward to a great CSM in San Diego for physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, students, and exhibitors.

Watch for more details on CSM 2013 in upcoming issues of News Now.

Comments

Dissappointing - had planned to go, but now most likely will not be able to.
    Posted by Emily DeLozier on 3/11/2012 12:34 PM
    I too am disappointed. I only get $500 a year for continuing education which won't cover a trip to San Diego from South Carolina. Nashville is within driving distance for me.
    Posted by Emily Gibbs on 3/11/2012 8:10 PM
    Very disappointing as I live in Nashville. Then again it is wonderful that so may PTs and PTAs are getting involved in the meeting. It was also wonderfull to see so may students there this past year.
    Posted by Kevin Lawrence on 3/12/2012 9:33 AM
    I understand it is hard to find the amount of space needed on short notice, but this is very disappointing news. The shift to January, plus placement completely within the week can be a double deterrent for small practices. Patients are just returning or just starting care after the holidays, so the timing will create a hardship for patients and frankly more financial strain at the start of the year. I hope it is not a trend. To top it, the following year is out West again. These factors lesson accessibility by location, time and cost for many of us.
    Posted by Pat Salin Huston on 3/13/2012 9:54 AM
    I love CSM. The change to only weekdays is disappointing. Are pre conference courses going to start Saturday which will mean likely having to lose even more work days. Also, keeping CSM in winter makes travel even more challenging.
    Posted by Amy Lafko on 3/13/2012 6:31 PM
    Maybe it is time to switch CSM and June meeting times. Getting together in June is easier for many and CSM is the more popular of the two meetings. Bring it back to the middle of the country so that everyone can participate at least every other year.
    Posted by Debbie Kelly on 3/15/2012 11:45 AM
    APTA should continue to do their best to hold the meetings in rotating locations throughout the U.S. This allows more members with small continuing education budgets an opportunity to attend one even if only every five year when it is close to home. When was the last time a meeting was held in the Northwest?
    Posted by Ryan Murphy on 3/15/2012 10:31 PM
    I am excited by the growth of this fantastic meeting,but sadly disappointed by the move. I had planned to go but will now have to rethink my plans. Travel to the west coast would add an additonal two days to my time out of the clinic. This is almost impossible for a small practice.
    Posted by Donna Edwards on 3/19/2012 3:28 PM
    I think it is great that it is moving to SD. I always have to travel for conferences because Arizona never seems to get chosen. I like the idea of it moving all over the US. Not only do we get a chance to travel when we can but it is also fair for those who live in the coastal regions of the US. Joanne Szabo
    Posted by Patricia Szabo -> AIP]A on 6/1/2012 6:54 PM
    It should NEVER be about a con ed budget, it should be about becoming a better PT. A Weekday agenda is a very unwise decision and will definitely deter numerous clinicians.
    Posted by K. Khabra on 7/4/2012 2:21 AM
    Must handle increasing numbers - thanks for your responsiveness. Missouri is ideal: Kansas City and St. Louis. Agree travel can be easiest if accessible all sides of US. Winter flights are never predictable.
    Posted by Sharon Coffman on 7/7/2012 8:18 PM
    switching to a weekday conference does not allow for myself and my staff to attend. Very poor planning SCS
    Posted by Susan Schiliro -> BLXc on 8/31/2012 1:11 PM
    As a 3rd year student, I've appreciated going to conference the past 2 years. Unfortunately, this year, I will not be able to attend with the date switch, as it means missing a week of clinic (5 hour plane ride + 3 hour time change=JET LAG). Sad. Hopefully the dates will return to the Thursday-Saturday schedule in 2014.
    Posted by Lauren on 9/5/2012 6:24 PM