• Wednesday, March 13, 2013RSS Feed

Jacquelin Perry, Renowned Physical Therapist and Physician, Dies

Jacquelin Perry, MD, a physical therapist who trained at Walter Reed Army Hospital (1940-1941) and practiced in the US Army for 5 years, died at her home in Downey, California, on Monday at age 94.

Perry graduated from the University of California, San Francisco, in 1950 as a physician and became board certified as an orthopedic surgeon in 1958. At Ranchos Los Amigos, she was chief of the Pathokinesiology Service for 30 years.

She published hundreds of articles and received APTA's Golden Pen Award and the Helen

J. Hislop Award for Outstanding Contributions to Professional Literature. She was an honorary

lifetime member of APTA. She also received the Orthopaedic Section's Steven J. Rose Excellence in Research Award.

Throughout her career Perry advocated for the profession of physical therapy and worked closely with numerous physical therapists.

"The name Perry and the word movement are almost synonymous—we hear 'Perry,' and we think analysis of normal and abnormal movement of the trunk, upper extremity, and lower extremity and the restoration of movement through surgery, bracing, electrical stimulation, and exercise," Rebecca L. Craik, PT, PhD, FAPTA, wrote in a 2010 PTJ editorial.

Comments

Dr. Perry was a true friend to the profession of physical therapy and contribute to the growth of physical therapy as a doctoring profession. She was a mentor and advisor to myself as she sat on the advisory committee while I completed my thesis for my research for my masters degree in PT at USC with Dr.Hislop. During the last few years I had the pleasure to sit with her on the Board of Governance at USC School of Physical Therapy and Biokinesiology USC. She continued to be an active bright participant and continued to promote our profession. Thank you Dr. Perry for being a mentor at age 90+ and your continued effort to grow our profession.
    Posted by Dr. Tom Eggleton DP MS on 3/14/2013 12:12 AM
    I had the distinct privilege of studying under the leadership of Drs. Perry and Hislop, both visionaries in our profession. Among her many achievements, Dr. Perry was the engine behind he development of the "Rancho" terminology of gait analysis. She was unrelenting in analyzing medical literature and ensuring you could support your position on any health care related topic. Thank you for always moving PT forward.
    Posted by Michael Pagliarulo on 3/15/2013 3:43 PM
    Dr. Perry's work at the Polio Clinic at Rancho Los Amigos has helped many of us with post-polio syndrome to live with less pain and less pain medication. She recognized this syndrome, and devised some life-style changes to aid those of us affected by PPS. I will forever be indebted to her for the help and advice I received. Thank you Dr. Perry
    Posted by Joan Smith on 3/15/2013 4:15 PM
    May God welcome Dr. Perry home. While I never had the privilege to meet her in person, I did have the opportunity to talk with her over the phone while completing my Master's project on post polio for PT school. She was most gracious and supportive. Dr. Perry will be missed by all who knew her and the professions that she represented. A true professional and one that we should all try to emulate.
    Posted by Mark Lombardi PT DPT ATC on 3/15/2013 9:28 PM
    I was saddened to read of the passing of Dr. Perry. As an xray technologist at Rancho Los Amigos, I had many occasions to xray patients and she was present to advise positions she wanted. Whenever I met her in the halls, she was gracious and warm to me. God bless her soul.
    Posted by Edythe Grayson on 3/16/2013 10:16 AM
    30 years ago I spent 2 weeks in the gait lab while on a 6 week internship at Ranchos Los Amigos. Through thorough painstaking observation I have forever in my brain the pieces and parts of gait. Any patient with back, hip, knee, ankle, and foot pain Walks down my hallway for a gait analysis. And most of the time the area of pain is not the area of dysfunction. I am grateful to Dr. Jaqueline Perry for the opportunity to add an important piece to my diagnostic skill set.
    Posted by Linda Johnston, PT on 3/17/2013 12:17 PM
    Dr. Perry inspired many aspiring physical therapists to explore the profession and to later to become better scientists and more attentive caregivers. Rest in peace Dr. Perry.
    Posted by Robert Russ on 3/18/2013 6:22 PM
    I first met Dr. Perry went I was eight years old. I last saw her when I was 60. Throughout my life she was the one person who was always there for me. I know there are many more "polio kids" out there whose lives she improved. I morn the world's loss as well as my own.
    Posted by Sherry on 5/3/2013 9:19 PM