• Wednesday, February 20, 2013RSS Feed

Former APTA Board Member Barbara Melzer Dies

Barbara Melzer, PT, DPT, PhD, FAPTA, a clinician and educator for 38 years who held numerous national and state positions within APTA, died February 17. She had acute pneumonia that activated interstitial lung disease, a condition she was diagnosed with 7 years ago.

Melzer served on APTA's Board of Directors as director (1987-1992) and secretary (1992-1995), and on the Executive Committee (1991-1995). She also was a member of the Nominating Committee (2003-2006), serving as chair for 1 year (2005-2006). Most recently, she was member of APTA's House of Delegates (2007-present).

A member of the Education Section since 1976, Melzer served in numerous roles, including vice president (2000-2004). She was a coeditor of A Normative Model of Physical Therapist Professional Education, Version 2000. In 2003, Melzer was named a Catherine Worthingham Fellow, APTA's highest honor.

She also held many positions at the state level. She served as president of the Texas Chapter (1983-1984) and as chief delegate (2000-2003). She was a member of a variety of chapter committees, including conference planning, bylaws, and educational affairs.

Melzer was professor at Texas State University and director of clinical education. She represented the School of Health Professions on the Faculty Senate and was a multiple winner of the Texas State University Presidential Award for Service.

"Through the incredible span of her service and lengthy list of accomplishments, she has impacted the profession in ways no words can accurately capture," Eric Robertson, PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT, wrote in a tribute to Melzer.

Comments

This article was updated 2/21/13 at 1:30 pm.
    Posted by News Now staff on 2/21/2013 2:23 PM
    She was such a great teacher and mentor. She will be missed.
    Posted by Meri Goehring on 2/22/2013 12:14 PM
    Barb will be missed by many. I've known her since 1986 and she was always a huge advocate for the Texas PTA'S, PT's, and our association. Thanks for all you did Barb!
    Posted by Mary Hays, PTA on 2/22/2013 3:49 PM
    We have lost a GREAT Lady and friend. She was a Leader, Mentor, and one we all should take note from on how she supported both the Profession and us as Individuals. Will miss her support and smile.
    Posted by Rick Peret PT on 2/22/2013 5:09 PM
    Barb was a super friend, inspirational leader and mentor, a consummate professional and a wonderful PT. She will be greatly missed by many in countless ways. I too, will miss her enthusiasm and warm smile!
    Posted by Peg Grey, PT on 2/22/2013 6:52 PM
    I was so saddened to hear of Barb's passing. She taught from the heart, and was an inspiration to many. My condolences to her family and loved ones.
    Posted by Tammy Kimmelman, PT on 2/22/2013 7:16 PM
    I am deeply saddened to hear of Barb's death. She was a gentle leader, awesome mentor and wonderful supporter of the profession. She will be greatly missed by me and our profession.
    Posted by Erik Moen on 2/23/2013 9:38 AM
    I was deeply saddened by Barb's death. Althought I only knew her for a short period of time I always enjoyed our emails and chats regarding therapy and life in general. I enjoyed her wisdom, her smile and her love of the profession. She will be much missed by the Texas chapter and its HOD delegation and those who knew her.
    Posted by Vanie Jones on 2/25/2013 3:04 PM
    My heart is heavy to learn of Barb's death. She was always joyful in spirit. Her contributions to the profession are tremendous; and her mentorship was always greatly valued by all. Barb - you will be missed.
    Posted by Patricia Hageman on 2/25/2013 3:45 PM
    I always enjoyed time spent with Barb Melzer. She was an incredible leader and advocate for physical therapy and the APTA.She will be missed..
    Posted by John Echternach,DPT,EdD, FAPTA on 2/25/2013 4:26 PM
    Barb has inspired many to be better professionals and more caring human beings. I loved her dearly and will miss her greatly. We have lost a valued friend and mentor. Loving thanks to my dear friend for the privilege of having her in my life.
    Posted by Linda Longoria, PT, MA, OCS on 2/26/2013 9:08 AM