• Monday, January 13, 2014RSS Feed

Stanley Paris Ends Sail Early

More than 6 weeks after beginning his journey, adventurer and physical therapist Stanley Paris, PT, PhD, FAPTA, FAAOMPT, has been forced to abandon his attempt to solo circumnavigate the globe nonstop. Paris announced that he would be heading to land in Cape Town, South Africa, in the face of rigging problems and other equipment failures that made continuation "foolish in the extreme."

At age 76, Paris was attempting to break the speed and age record for the solo voyage, and had hoped to complete the journey in 120 days. Though he was forced to delay his start date to December 2 due to weather, during the following weeks Paris reported good progress despite some unfavorable winds and an injury.

When rigging and other equipment began to malfunction, Paris reported the conditions to the designers of his yacht, the Kiwi Spirit, as well as to the support group helping him execute his plan. Their shared opinion: end the attempt. "I think the widespread failures across so many systems would have kept a crewed grand prix boat on shore," the president of the yacht design company wrote to Paris. "To have this combination of problems in your injured state is inviting disaster… Please make the prudent decision and stop."

In his blog, Paris described how he viewed the news "I should say I am sorry to disappoint so many," he wrote. "But there is one thing I can say and that is, 'I tried,' and that my spirit did not give up until those that I must respect made it clear to me that it was over." Paris stated that he will not attempt the journey again because "I have asked enough of my wife and family already."

The attempt by Paris was made in part to bring attention to the Foundation for Physical Therapy, where he serves on the Board of Trustees. His sailing efforts have helped to raise over $250,000 for the Foundation.

Comments

Good decision. Wise to listen to your advisors and stop when condition put you at high risk. I applaud your courage. Eric Lingren, PT, MPT, PCS Orange, CA
    Posted by Lawrence Lingren -> >GV^>G on 1/15/2014 12:52 PM
    You tried something I wouldn't even dream of trying by myself! You are still a winner.
    Posted by Kathleen Laboray PT, MHS on 1/17/2014 4:34 PM
    Dr. Paris is such an inspiration to not only physical therapists, but to anyone who questions their capabilities! What he has attempted and accomplished in his lifetime is amazing!
    Posted by Kayla Smith,PT DSc, OCS, COMT on 1/17/2014 5:05 PM
    Stanley you know how much we all support you and your efforts... Including this difficult decision Safe travels home We look forward to seeing you on your return
    Posted by Colleen kigin on 1/17/2014 5:54 PM
    It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light. Thank you Dr.Paris for all the support to our profession . Have a safe trip back home
    Posted by Liliana Salazar PT on 1/17/2014 10:13 PM
    I am as proud of you for stopping as I was for your amazing efforts.Cheers on a job well done and on listening to wise advice...a great example for us AND our patients!
    Posted by Edie Horner on 1/18/2014 6:38 PM
    Stanley, congrats on the effort at the age of 76, WOW. I want to take the time to thank you for for your leadership in taking our country of Physical Therapist from a field of technicians to professionals. You inspired all of us 37 years ago in Vail, to go out and push the envelope to be Professionals by demanding to do evaluations on all patients or refuse to see them, and then giving us the skills to back it up. Thank you, Thank you. This was the turning point for Physical Therapist to be recognized as true professionals. You Stanley of all people, never let us down and your continued fighting spirit is inspirational. God Bless You
    Posted by Jim Moran PT on 1/19/2014 1:51 PM
    I am proud of your conceiving this adventure to support the Physical Therapy Foundation. I am amazed that you have it as far as you did. I wish I were aboard at 82. I am sending my contribution to the Foundation in honor of your sail.
    Posted by Joan Firra on 1/21/2014 12:35 AM