Achieving unencumbered direct access nationwide is a priority for a profession looking to transform society. But an unlocked door only provides access if someone wants to walk through it.
That's where public awareness comes in.
APTA's consumer information website, MoveForwardPT.com, has been leading that awareness effort for 4 years, with increasing effect. The site that launched with just a few pages now has consumer-targeted guides to more than 140 symptoms and conditions, plus tips pages, comprehensive health centers, podcasts, patient stories, and the Find a PT database.
The site is on pace to draw a record 1.5 million visitors and almost 2.5 million pageviews this year. That's traffic you can use to your benefit and help increase at the same time.
Here are 6 ways you can leverage MoveForwardPT.com to get the public moving to your clinic.
- Activate and update your Find a PT profile. Any practicing physical therapist member of APTA can be listed in this national database, but you need to update and activate your profile to appear. Find a PT isn't just used by potential patients and clients. Physicians and other physical therapists have been known to use Find a PT to make referrals.
- Download graphics. The site's Did You Know section is full of images promoting the benefits of physical therapy. Download them and post them on your own website or social media pages. Or embed them from the MoveForwardPT Pinterest page.
- Quote and link to webpages. You don't need to reinvent the wheel. Quote extensively from MoveForwardPT.com and link to the related webpage as a citation. This gives you easy content, and it helps to improve MoveForwardPT.com's performance in Google search results, which is where increasing numbers of consumers begin their search for treatment.
- Print it and share it. Just because we live in a digital world doesn't mean you should underestimate the value of printed handouts. All MoveForwardPT.com pages are printer friendly. Also, APTA members can download colorful handouts that include open text fields in which you can add the contact information for your clinic.
- Get social. MoveForwardPT.com is supported by social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Sharing posts from these accounts will help you develop your own personal brand, while also increasing the reach of those accounts.
- Listen up. APTA produces 2 consumer-oriented podcasts every month that are available at MoveForwardPT.com and iTunes. Look for episodes that align with your practice focus and share them on your website or via social media.
This article is a part of APTA's "Profession in Transformation" series. Check it out!