APTA State Government Affairs is here to assist state chapters reach their state legislative goals and defend the physical therapy scope of practice from infringement. In addition to tracking and analyzing various state legislation, assisting with grassroots, and formulating legislative strategies, we offer a variety of services for chapters outlined below. We are also available (schedule permitting) to speak at chapter meetings on state legislative issues.
Justin Elliott, Director
Angela Chasteen, Senior State Affairs Specialist
- Direct Access at the State Level
- Essential Health Benefits (EHBs)
- Fair Physical Therapy Copays
- Health Care Reform in the States
- Health Insurance Marketplaces
- Interstate Licensure Compact for Physical Therapy
- Medicaid Resource Center
- Referral for Profit/POPTS
- Protection of Terms & Titles: Physical Therapy, Physiotherapy, PT, and DPT
- Physical Therapist Scope of Practice and Scope of Practice Issues
The scope of practice for physical therapists is dynamic, evolving with evidence, education, and societal needs, and has 3 components: professional, jurisdictional, and personal. Review these areas of practice, as well as learn more about important issues that fall under the PTs scope of practice.
- State Legislative Issue Tracking
Learn more and track current legislation in your state.
Activities and Events
State Practice Acts
Coalition for Patients' Rights