APTA's State Government Affairs department provides supplemental state legislative tracking reports to all 50 state chapters during the state legislative season (January - June). Reports are sent to the chapter presidents, executive personnel, and state legislative chair. We are also happy to provide copies of bill text and status reports to chapters as needed. State Government Affairs also provides chapters with periodic "Issue Briefs" which provide an analysis of key factors affecting physical therapy hot topics, and "SnapShots" which provide information on issue trends and events in the states.
For tracking purposes, states are grouped into eight (8) regions, with tracking responsibilities divided between Justin Elliott and Angela Chasteen. Please contact the appropriate staff member if you have questions or need additional information on legislation in your state.
Issues By State
View/track current legislative issues in your state .
APTA Legislative Staff Liaison By Region
Justin Elliott, director, state government affairs: Eastern, Southern, Southwest, and Pacific-Northwest regions.
- Eastern: Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and the District of Columbia
- Southern: South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana
- Southwest: Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona
- Pacific-Northwest: California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii
Angela Chasteen, senior state affairs specialist, state government affairs: Northeast, Great Lakes, Midwest, and North Central regions, and Virginia:
- Northeast: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York
- Great Lakes: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota
- Midwest: Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska
- North Central: North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho