There are currently no vacancies for this committee.
- To complete the charge, candidates should have an interest in, and the ability to, prepare written materials and make oral presentations on the Code and Standards and/or on the topic of ethics. A helpful qualification, but not a requirement, is to have a basic understanding of the legal system and litigation.
- In order to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest or impropriety, there are restrictions placed on EJC members. Specifically, EJC members may not serve concurrently on any other national association committee. In addition, an EJC member shall not serve concurrently as a chapter president or on a chapter committee charged with processing judicial complaints in that chapter, and no member of the APTA Board of Directors shall be appointed to serve as an EJC member.
The EJC meets mainly in the spring and fall approximately 2-3 times per year via conference call, and in person at APTA Headquarters as needed.
Terms of Appointees
The APTA bylaws, Article X., Section 1., B., provides "…each member shall serve a term of 5 years. At least 1 member shall be appointed annually. No member shall be appointed to successive complete terms."
The Bylaws of the American Physical Therapy Association (Article X, Section I., B) provide that "[t]his committee shall:
The Board of Directors' determined charge for the Ethics and Judicial Committee is:
- Interpret the ethical principles and standards of the association
- Propose revisions of the ethical principles and standards of the association and the Disciplinary Action Procedural Document of the association
- Make revisions, as necessary, to the documents that interpret the ethical principles and standards of the association and disseminate these documents for the management of judicial affairs
- Promote activities for the dissemination of information on ethics
- Process reported violations of ethical principles and standards in accordance with approved procedures
- Make final decisions in disciplinary proceedings against a member, subject only to appeal to the Board of Directors by the member
- Carry out other duties as may be requested by the Board of Directors"
In addition to the directives as indicated in the APTA bylaws, the Board of Directors’ determined charge for the Ethics and Judicial Committee is to:
- Actively promote activities for the dissemination of information on ethics, including building on the work already done to provide education on the revised Code of Ethics for the Physical Therapist ("Code") and Standards of Ethical Conduct for the Physical Therapist Assistant ("Standards"). To do so, each committee member should undertake to complete during this term publishing written material and/or making oral presentations on the topic of ethics
- Continue discussions on revisions to the Disciplinary Action Procedural Document
- Submit a report to the Board of Directors on an annual basis
All APTA appointed groups will conduct their work with the Association Organizational Values in mind and in the context of 1) APTA's mission, vision, and strategic plan, and 2) the potential for their work to have implications related to physical therapist assistants, women, diversity, and risk management.
Chair: Cheryl Resnik, PT, DPT *
Staff Liaison: Lauren L. Dockter, JD, LLM, deputy general counsel
Board Liaison: Matthew Hyland, PT, PhD, MPA**
* This Board-appointed group does not have a Board chair in order to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest or impropriety because the Board is the body to which a member may appeal a disciplinary decision of the Ethics and Judicial Committee (EJC).
** The role of the Board Liaison is to serve as a conduit between the Board and the EJC; the Board liaison does not participate in disciplinary decisions.
Browse Current Volunteer Group Rosters
Size of Appointed Group: 1 chair and 4 members (See APTA bylaws, Article X, Section I., 8)
The APTA bylaws, Article X., Section 1., B., provides that "[t]his committee shall consist of at least 5 members..."
For additional information regarding this and other APTA volunteer opportunities, please contact Amber Neil in APTA's National Governance and Leadership Department at 800/999-2782, ext. 8184, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.