The 2020 call for
volunteers for this committee is now closed. The next call for volunteers for national groups will
open February 1, 2021.
The EJC meets mainly in the spring and fall approximately 1 time per year via conference call, and in person at APTA Headquarters as needed.
Terms of Appointees
The APTA bylaws, Article X., Section 1., B., provides "…each member shall serve a term of 5 years. At least 1 member shall be appointed annually. No member shall be appointed to successive complete terms."
The Bylaws of the American Physical Therapy Association (Article X, Section I., B) provide that "[t]his committee shall:
The Board of Directors' determined charge for the Ethics and Judicial Committee is:
- Interpret the ethical principles and standards of the association
- Propose revisions of the ethical principles and standards of the association and the Disciplinary Action Procedural Document of the association
- Make revisions, as necessary, to the documents that interpret the ethical principles and standards of the association and disseminate these documents for the management of judicial affairs
- Promote activities for the dissemination of information on ethics
- Process reported violations of ethical principles and standards in accordance with approved procedures
- Make final decisions in disciplinary proceedings against a member, subject only to appeal to the Board of Directors by the member
- Carry out other duties as may be requested by the Board of Directors"
In addition to the directives as indicated in the APTA bylaws, the Board of Directors’ determined charge for the Ethics and Judicial Committee is to:
All APTA appointed groups will conduct their work with the Association Organizational Values in mind and in the context of 1) APTA's mission, vision, and strategic plan, and 2) the potential for their work to have implications related to physical therapist assistants, women, diversity, and risk management.
Chair: Mary Green, PT, MS, JD*
Staff Liaison: Matt Seiler, RN, Esq. general counsel
Board Liaison: Bob Rowe, PT, DPT, DMT, MHS**
* This Board-appointed group does not have a Board chair in order to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest or impropriety because the Board is the body to which a member may appeal a disciplinary decision of the Ethics and Judicial Committee (EJC).
** The role of the Board Liaison is to serve as a conduit between the Board and the EJC; the Board liaison does not participate in disciplinary decisions.
Browse Current Volunteer Group Rosters
For additional information regarding this and other APTA volunteer opportunities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.