There are currently no vacancies for this group. Check back for future opportunities.
Members to be considered, but not required:
- A Former member of APTA's Board of Directors
- A Former member of APTA's Student Assembly Board of Directors or former student leader
- A new professional representative
- A current or former chapter leader (not necessarily president)
- A current or former section leader (not necessarily president)
- A physical therapist assistant member
- A general member
- A member of APTA's nominating committee (to be selected by the APTA nominating committee)
The Leadership Development Committee will provide strategic direction, resources and opportunities for APTA members to develop their leadership skills.
For the period April 15, 2013 to December 31, 2014, the Board of Director's determined charge for the Leadership Development Committee is:
- Benchmarking existing organizational leadership best practices within APTA (including components) and outside APTA pertaining to leadership development programs, including leadership succession, transitioning to new leadership, component nominating committee role and function, and the elections process, and considering which best practices might be implemented through collaboration across the association
- Creating an organizational structure for an APTA leadership development program, including recommendations for mentorship opportunities, a process for identifying members that could potentially benefit from the program, and resources for assisting interested volunteers not chosen for leadership service to further develop their leadership skills
- Developing recommendations for key leadership core competencies for the association
- Promoting leadership development opportunities to members, including educational programming for interested leaders and potential leaders
- Establishing processes for evaluating overall program success
- Investigating opportunities for implementing an annual leadership conference for key national committee and task force chairs and members to understand APTA's overall vision, strategic plan, and how each group fits into these plans
- Providing advice on the development and use of a member engagement scoring system
- Working collaboratively with APTA Nominating Committee, through the inclusion of an APTA Nominating Committee member on the Committee
The Leadership Development Committee will conduct its work with the Association Organizational Values in mind and in the context of 1) APTA's mission, vision and strategic plan, and 2) the potential for its work to have implications related to physical therapist assistants, women, diversity, and risk management.
BOD Chair: Kathleen K Mairella, PT, DPT, MA
Staff Liaison: Elizabeth Grotos, senior specialist, components, governance and leadership
Browse Current Volunteer Group Rosters
For additional information regarding this and other APTA volunteer opportunities, please contact Amber Neil in APTA's National Governance and Leadership Department at 800/999-2782, ext. 8184, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.