APTA and fellow members of the Therapy Cap Coalition, a group of almost 50 associations, organizations, patient and consumer groups, are working together to make sure Congress addresses the Medicare therapy cap before December 31, 2013.
APTA representatives have been a constant presence on Capitol Hill all year long, advocating for a permanent repeal of the Medicare therapy cap, but it's crucial that legislators hear from their constituents. Thus, the Therapy Cap Coalition has created several coordinated grassroots opportunities to maximize impact.
Already, the coalition raised awareness with a 24-hour social media and e-mail effort on November 3, 60 days ahead of the expiration of the therapy cap exceptions process. But your help is still needed!
Take Action on December 2
Use e-mail and social media to flood Congress with messages on December 2, 30 days ahead of the expiration of the therapy cap exceptions process. (PTeam members will receive an action alert December 2, but anyone can participate.)
Ask your legislators to permanently fix the therapy cap or at the very least extend the exceptions process by December 31, 2013.
- Send a prewritten e-mail to your legislators using APTA's Legislative Action Center (members) or Patient Action Center (nonmembers).
- Download the APTA Action app (members and nonmembers). Search "APTA Action" in the Apple or Google Play app stores to download the app, then select the "Action Center" button to e-mail your legislators.
- Urge at least one friend or family member to use the Patient Action Center to send a prewritten e-mail to their legislators.
- Update your Facebook and Twitter profile pictures on December 2 to raise awareness about the expiration of the therapy cap exceptions process. To download images, click the appropriate link and then right-click to save (PC users) or control-click (Mac users): Facebook profile image (updated) | Facebook cover image | Twitter profile image | Twitter cover image
- Post messages using the #StopTheTherapyCap hashtag. (Samples: "Only 30 days left to #StopTheTherapyCap! Congress: please support access to physical therapy by cosponsoring HR 713/S367!" "Make sure patients have access to physical therapy in 2014. Take action to #StopTheTherapyCap TODAY! www.apta.org/StopTheCap" "Congress must act before December 31 to #StopTheTherapyCap! www.apta.org/StopTheCap #PTAdvocacy")
- Retweet and share APTA's social media posts on December 2.
- Find the Twitter handle of your legislators on their websites (House of Representatives | Senate) or by clicking the "Congressional Directory" button within the APTA Action app and include them in your tweets about stopping the cap.
Click here to learn more about the Medicare therapy cap. If you have questions about the grassroots initiatives, contact email@example.com.
Thank you to everyone who contributed to our grassroots efforts on November 3, 60 days ahead of the expiration of the therapy cap exceptions process. More than 1,000 APTA members sent more than 3,000 e-mails to Capitol Hill, asking Congress to address the therapy cap by December 31, 2013. An additional 250 nonmembers, including patients, sent 801 e-mails to members of Congress.
On top of that, 2,012 people participated in the "Thunderclap to Stop the Therapy Cap," which reached over 800,000 social media users and trended on the Thunderclap website on November 3.