Nominations for this award are now closed.
About this award
Established in 2017, the APTA Societal Impact Award fosters the association’s outward-facing vision and highlights the impact of physical therapy in improving quality of life.
The APTA Societal Impact Award will recognize leaders within APTA’s member community who demonstrate commitment and dedication to addressing issues related to societal welfare. This award specifically recognizes individuals who exemplify the compassionate nature of the physical therapy profession by exhibiting a distinguished commitment toward philanthropic initiatives, raising public awareness on key societal issues, and demonstrating how physical therapy can be applied to address these issues. Award recipients will have demonstrated exemplary leadership and volunteerism. Recognized members will inspire their physical therapy colleagues, their patients and clients, and their communities.
To be considered for the APTA Societal Impact Award, all nominees must:
- Be active APTA members in good standing at the time of nomination and selection
- Include detail and record of activity that spans a period of at least 1 year preceding the nomination submission
The APTA Societal Impact Award is open to physical therapist, physical therapist assistant, and student members. The award may be presented to either an individual or a team.
Criteria for Selection
Member efforts should be of exceptional value while meeting the following criteria:
- Increasing social awareness and improving societal welfare: These are activities initiated by physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and/or students of physical therapy working alone or in association with others to address and positively impact societal welfare.
- Leadership and volunteerism: Contributions can be demonstrated through leadership, influence, service, or achievements and sustained efforts to improve the societal welfare over a period of at least one (1) year preceding nomination for the award.
- Philanthropic initiatives and advancement of physical therapy: These are activities of a high moral caliber and charitable nature. Activities should be documented and/or implemented through at least two channels (i.e. publications, provision of services, programs), which have influenced these respective areas in durable ways.
What Recipients Receive
An award will be presented to the selected recipient(s) by APTA's Board of Directors at the NEXT Conference and Exposition. Selected recipients also will be recognized in an official announcement that will appear in an association publication.
The following documents are required to accompany the nomination:
- A completed nomination form (.pdf)
- A letter of nomination, not to exceed 4 pages in length, detailing how the nominee meets all 3 of the criteria listed above
- Two letters of support, not to exceed 2 pages in length, from individuals other than the author of the nomination letter that detail how the nominee meets at least 2 of the award’s criteria as described above.
Submit a Nomination
Nominations for 2019 will open in September 2018. All materials completed and submitted for each nomination must be received by the APTA Honors and Awards Program on or before December 1, 2018, to be considered for the 2019 Honors and Awards Program. Please note that the nominator is responsible for reviewing and ensuring the proper completion of all steps within the online nomination submission process before final submission.
If you have any questions about the nomination process or the award, please contact Alissa Patanarut at 800/999-2782, ext 3154.