- Be physical therapists or individuals not eligible for APTA membership who, from the starting date of their first academic appointment as core faculty until the time of nomination (December 1), have been actively engaged in teaching physical therapist (professional or postprofessional) or physical therapist assistant students for at least 2, but not more than 5 years.
- Have a full-time academic faculty appointment of any rank.
- Be employed in an academic setting within 1 or more accredited physical therapy education programs or an advanced level program for physical therapists, from which students earn an academic degree.
- Possess distinct expertise in at least 1 subject area to which research and teaching efforts have been directed.
- Have demonstrated the following: Distinct expertise in at least one subject area to which research and teaching efforts have been directed; past, current, and potential contributions to scholarly activities; teaching excellence in the academic setting; and commitment to service to the institution and to the profession.
Note: Teaching solely as a component of continuing education does not constitute eligibility for this award.
What Recipients Receive
A plaque and monetary award of $1,500 will be presented to the recipient by APTA's Board of Directors at the NEXT Conference and Exposition and an official announcement will appear in an association publication.
During the online process, the following documents will be required for upload:
- Current curriculum vitae or resume of the nominee
- A letter of nomination that specifically focuses on the strengths of the nominee in relation to the award criteria and includes descriptions of any previous academic appointments held by the nominee, not to exceed 3 pages
- 2 letters of support obtained from the following: a physical therapist colleague from the nominee's institution and a current or former student who is representative of an academic level of teaching in which the nominee has been engaged, not to exceed 2 pages each
Submit a Nomination
Nominations must be submitted electronically. All materials completed
and submitted for each nomination must be received by the APTA Honors
and Awards Program on or before December 1, 2015, to be considered for
2016 Honors and Awards Program. Please note that the nominator is
responsible for reviewing and ensuring the proper completion of all
steps within the online nomination submission process before final
submission. Nominations for 2016 will open September 2015.
View past award recipients for this award (.pdf).