There are currently 3 vacancies for this committee.
Applications due Thursday, February 28
Apply online via APTA's new engagement portal
(Note: Use your APTA ID to create a profile. Select "Opt-in" from the Engage homepage to get started.)
Applicant must have expertise in education
This subcommittee meets approximately 1 time per year via conference call for 2 hours in the winter.
Term of Appointees
Individuals appointed to this committee shall serve a two year term. No individual shall serve more than two consecutive terms.
The Awards Committee subcommittees will apply the criteria established by the Board of Directors (Board) for each association honor and award to each nomination received for each award under its purview and make recommendations regarding award recipients to the Board.
The Board of Directors' determined charge for each Awards Committee Subcommittee is:
- Review award nominations* received for each award that falls under the subcommittee's purview against the applicable criteria established by the Board of Directors.
- Recommend potential recipients to the Board of Directors for final approval.**
- When requested by the Board of Directors, review and make recommendations on proposals for new awards applicable to the subcommittee's award category and provide feedback on the utility of the criteria and measurement tools for existing awards within the subcommittee's purview.
- Submit a report to the Board of Directors on an annual basis
*A nomination is the packet of materials submitted to APTA in response to the association's annual call for nominations for its honors and awards program. Each subcommittee works independently to review the received nominations that fall within its purview.
**A recommendation is what each Awards Committee Subcommittee brings to the Board after it has completed its review of all nominations for each honor or award under its purview. It is the Board's responsibility to either accept or reject recommendations.
Committee Specific Charge
The Education Awards Subcommittee will review nominations received for the following awards:
- Dorothy Baethke-Eleanor J. Carlin Award for Excellence in Academic Teaching: The Dorothy Baethke-Eleanor J. Carlin Award for Excellence in Academic Teaching is for clinical or academic educators who have been actively engaged for a minimum of 5 years in entry and/or advanced levels of formal education for upcoming physical therapist professionals. Qualifying teaching expertise must occur within at least 1 accredited program from which students earn an academic qualification upon graduation.
- F.A. Davis Award for Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Educator: The F.A. Davis Award for Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Educator recognizes physical therapist assistant student educators who have demonstrated and exhibited a noteworthy level of commitment to physical therapy education, physical therapist assistant students, and in advancing, promoting, and upholding standards of academic excellence.
- Margaret L. Moore Award for Outstanding New Academic Faculty Member: The Margaret L. Moore Award for Outstanding New Academic Faculty Member is for a physical therapist or individual not eligible for APTA membership who has been actively engaged in formal physical therapy education for a period of 2 to 5 years via full-time academic appointment. Nominees for the Margaret L. Moore Award must demonstrate distinct expertise and knowledge through scholarly activities, teaching excellence, and commitment to the physical therapy profession.
- Minority Initiatives Award: The Minority Initiatives Award recognizes programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) that have successfully demonstrated ongoing initiatives to assist minority students for at least 3 consecutive years.
- Signe Brunnstrom Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching: The Signe Brunnstrom Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching honors a physical therapist in a Center Coordinator of Clinical Education (CCCE) or Clinical Instructor (CI) role, who has been actively engaged in clinical teaching at entry or advanced levels of physical therapy education for a minimum of 5 years.
All APTA appointed groups will conduct their work with the Association Organizational Values in mind and in the context of 1) APTA's mission, vision, and strategic plan, and 2) the potential for their work to have implications related to physical therapist assistants, women, diversity, and risk management.
BOD Chair: N/A*
Staff Liaison: Alissa Patanarut, MPP, honors & awards program specialist, member services.
Board Liaison: Stuart Platt, PT, MSPT**
*This Board-appointed group that consists of 8 subcommittees does not have a Board Chair in order to avoid any conflict of interest or impropriety because the Board is the body that approves the association’s honors and awards recipients. Due to the nature of this group's work, it will not have a single chair. Rather, staff will assist each subcommittee to identify a member volunteer to serve as the lead for the respective subcommittee and each lead will work with the staff liaisons as needed to manage the work of their particular subcommittee.
**The role of the Board Liaison is to serve as a conduit between the Board and the Awards Committee and assist in special projects such as the review and revision of awards policies. The Board liaison does not participate in subcommittee conversations related to nominees, and does not review the nominations received for each award.
As stated in the APTA bylaws (Article IX, Section 3., A) the APTA president serves as ex-officio member to all Board-appointed committees with the exception of the Ethics and Judicial Committee. In the role as ex-officio to the Awards Committee the APTA president may take part in certain committee functions but does not review, propose, or participate in subcommittee conversations related to nominees for awards.
Browse Current Volunteer Group Rosters
Size of Appointed Group: 5 members
For additional information regarding this and other APTA volunteer opportunities, please email email@example.com.