There is currently 1 vacancy for this committee.
Applications due Thursday, February 28
Apply online via APTA's new engagement portal
(Note: Use your APTA ID to create a profile. Select "Opt-in" from the Engage homepage to get started.)
Candidates should have:
- Experience with nonprofit finance (i.e. chapter or section treasurer)
- Proven financial leadership in the members' professional life
- Ability to see the big picture but also understand the subtleties of nonprofit finance
This committee meets in person annually in the fall and on an as needed basis throughout the year via conference call.
Term of Appointees
The APTA Bylaws, Article X., Section 1, A., provides that "[t]this committee shall consist of at least five members, one of whom shall be the treasurer, and each member other than the treasurer shall serve a term of four years. At least one member shall be appointed annually."
The Bylaws of the American Physical Therapy Association (Article X, Section I., A) provide that:
- "…This committee shall advise the Board of Directors on matters pertaining to the association's financial needs, growth, and stability based on periodic review of income, expenditure, and investments. The committee shall present an annual budget to the Board of Directors. The committee shall be the point of contact and meet at least annually with the Association’s independent auditors to discuss the annual audit. The committee shall advise the Board of Directors of any irregularities or material findings that arise from the independent audit or other sources."
In addition to the directives as indicated in the APTA bylaws, the Board of Directors' determined charge for the Finance and Audit Committee is to:
- Review the annual budget to ensure that it is sound from a financial perspective and make a recommendation to the Board of Directors
- Present at the Financial Information for Component Leaders session at APTA's Combined Sections Meeting
- Serve as the association’s audit committee and meet with the auditors annually to determine the scope of work and review the audit results
- Review quarterly financial information and provide feedback to the treasurer
- Review the investment policy and make recommendations to modify the policy when necessary
- Submit a report to the Board of Directors on an annual basis
All APTA appointed groups will conduct their work with the Association Organizational Values in mind and in the context of 1) APTA's mission, vision, and strategic plan, and 2) the potential for their work to have implications related to physical therapist assistants, women, diversity, and risk management.
BOD Chair: Jeanine Gunn, PT, DPT
Staff Liaison: Rob Batarla, CPA, chief financial officer
Browse Current Volunteer Group Rosters
Size of Appointed Group: The APTA bylaws, Article X., Section 1., A., provides that "[t]his committee shall consist of at least 5 members, 1 of whom shall be the Treasurer…"
1 Board Chair (APTA Treasurer), 4 members, and APTA President serves as ex-officio (APTA bylaws: Article IX, Section 3, A and Article X, Section I, A). In addition, the President may designate 1 member of the Board to serve as a consultant to the Committee.
For additional information regarding this and other APTA volunteer opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.