The Chattanooga Research Award recognizes an author or team whose published work in Physical Therapy (PTJ) journal presents innovative study or a theoretical model and discussion of its impact on future clinical practice or physical therapy research.
The first author of eligible papers must have been an APTA member at the time of the manuscript's publication and at the time of nomination. The first author need not have been an APTA member at the time of data collection and manuscript preparation.
All reports of scientific studies authored and published in Physical Therapy (PTJ) during the current year are eligible, provided that the studies were not undertaken for obligatory academic requirements when the authors were students.
Candidates can be eligible for either the Jack Walker Award or Chattanooga Research Award for a given article; the same article may not be nominated for both awards.
- If a paper has multiple authors, each author who is eligible for the award will be considered a corecipient of the award.
- Case studies and case reports do not meet the purpose and intent of the award.
- Staff will screen for eligibility.
Criteria for Selection
The article must:
- Demonstrate a significant contribution to physical therapy;
- Present a novel and innovative research study or theoretical model that addresses an important area of physical therapy;
- Have a clearly stated purpose with supportive rationale and appropriate methodology;
- Clearly present the results and/or theoretical framework with appropriate discussion of application and impact on clinical practice or future physical therapy research; and
- Be well organized, and clearly and concisely written.
What Recipients Receive
A plaque and a monetary award of $1,000 will be presented to the eligible author(s) by APTA's Board of Directors at an APTA national event and an official announcement of the award will appear in an association publication. (Note: In the case of multiple eligible authors, the monetary award will be divided equally.)
During the online submission process, the following documents will be required for upload:
- Eligibility form
- Electronic copy of article
Submit a Nomination
The nominations call for the 2021 Honors and Awards program are now open. Nominations must be submitted via our awards portal by December 1 to be considered.
For questions regarding the nomination process or the award, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.