The Outstanding Physical Therapist Resident Award honors recent residency graduates in order to recognize the intrinsic value of postprofessional training and thereby promote and provide for the development and accreditation of residency education programs in physical therapy.
- Be current APTA members in good standing at the time of nomination and selection;
- Be within two years immediately following graduation from an ABPTRFE-accredited residency program. This period includes the one year preceding the nomination;
- Be nominated by a representative of an ABPTRFE-accredited physical therapist residency education program. Self-nominations are not permitted for this award; and
- Be licensed or regulated as required by the jurisdiction where the nominee is practicing.
- Demonstrate evidence of current and potential contributions to the physical therapy profession;
- Promote ethical standards and professional conduct;
- Promote best practice patterns within clinical practice through teaching, mentoring, and scholarly work;
- Demonstrate contributions to the American Physical Therapy Association at the national, component, and/or district levels; and
- Demonstrate dedicated service to the community through activities that enhance quality of life, function, and societal well-being.
What Recipients Receive
An award will be presented to the recipient by APTA's Board of Directors at an APTA national event and an official announcement will appear in an association publication.
During the online process, the following documents will be required for upload:
- A completed application form
- Graduation certificate from the nominee’s program confirming enrollment and successful graduation
- A completed narrative description (not to exceed 1 page) from the nominee; narrative’s content should focus upon the nominee’s experience within their respective program and its significant or effect upon their future goals in the profession
- Letter of nomination (from the nominee’s program director or faculty member) that specifically focuses on the strength of the nominee in relation to the award criteria, not to exceed 3 pages
- Two letters of support, not to exceed 2 pages each, obtained from individuals who can specifically address one or more of the criteria for selection. One of these letters must be provided by a faculty member or mentor within the nominee’s program.
Submit a Nomination
The nominations call for the 2021 Honors and Awards program are now open. Nominations must be submitted via our awards portal by December 1 to be considered.
For questions regarding the nomination process or the award, please contact email@example.com.