About the Foundation
The Foundation for Physical Therapy Research is the only national nonprofit solely dedicated to funding physical therapy research and promising researchers through grants, scholarships, and fellowships. Through these investments, researchers go on to yield exceptional research that helps us learn more about the efficacy of physical therapy practices, pioneer breakthrough treatments, and build the evidence-base to define the value of physical therapy among payers, other health care professions, and patients.
FPTR is an affiliate of the American Physical Therapy Association. FPTR staff are employed by APTA and receive the same employee benefits and adhere to APTA policies and procedures.
The Director, Development and Engagement will provide results-oriented leadership for the Foundation for Physical Therapy Research. This is a leadership opportunity that reports to and partners with the CEO to develop and implement strategies for growth and improved organizational efficiency.
The Director will be the FPTR’s lead strategist and project manager for designing, managing, and executing annual communications and fundraising plans. This role directs and promotes stewardship of donors and stakeholders and builds strategic communications amongst staff. The Director will work collaboratively with direct reports including the Manager, Major & Planned Gifts; and the Manager, Marketing and Communications in developing strategies and priorities that result in significant revenue growth and greater awareness of the organization.
Manages a portfolio of Chapter and Academy leaders, builds relationships, and shares opportunities to partner. Manages communications and marketing partnerships. Serves as a senior leader in the organization and brings experience in leading, coaching, and mentoring teams.
- Develops fundraising strategies, plans and priorities to achieve organizational goals.
- Collaborates with managers, tracks project logs to ensure timelines and outputs for projects to increase the impact.
- Leads strategy, execution, and evaluation of fundraising, events, and projects identified in the workplan.
- Identifies and builds relationships with leaders of organizations that support the profession.
- Responsible for implementing and evaluating individual and team metrics on an ongoing basis to ensure that goals are being met and professional growth is fostered.
- Creates progress reports / dashboards and communicates accomplishments to the CEO and Trustees.
- Cultivates relationships with the Board and volunteers; provides expertise to assist with their fundraising efforts.
- Collaborates with APTA staff to promote effective, responsive, and relevant communications for members and external audiences.
- Oversees development of fundraising and communication annual budgets; makes recommendations to gain efficiencies, grow revenue, and provides stewardship of FPTR resources.
- Contributes to quality assurance and continuous quality/performance improvement in FPTR’s activities, including supporting unit leader in annual assessments of respective budget activities described above.
- Is a member of the Association’s Business Affairs team and strives for shared success to support research to advance the physical therapy profession.
- Works effectively with and manages implementation of appointed and volunteer committee efforts.
- Provides strategic insight, counsel, data, and intelligence to unit leader and executive leadership as appropriate on best practices related to the work of Foundation for Physical Therapy Research through briefings, updates, reports, and presentations.
- Upholds and fosters team values.
- Complies with all APTA policies and procedures.
- • Performs other duties as assigned to foster achievement of FPTR and association priorities.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Required.
- 6+ years’ experience in fundraising and communications/marketing; CFRE or comparable certification a plus.
- Must be creative, strategic, enthusiastic with strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency of projects while handling multiple deadlines.
- Healthcare or research funding experience preferred.
- Marketing and communication experience related to fundraising.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Serves as a role model for strategic use of donor database and screening / prospecting tools.
- Raiser’s Edge or other nonprofit database experience.
- Major or capital campaign experience.
- 10%- local, national
APTA's outstanding benefits include generous annual vacation and sick leave, federal paid holidays, retirement contributions, and commuting subsidies for employees who choose public transit and active transportation.
APTA's headquarters are located across the street from the new Potomac Yard Metrorail station set to open in October 2022, with immediate access to the DMV's bike trail system. Opened in 2021, APTA Centennial Center's amenities include a fitness center, bike share, and health and wellness classes—all free to APTA employees. A WiFi-connected rooftop terrace offers views of the Potomac River and Washington, D.C. skyline, offering a great alternate work location or place to take a break.
Most staff positions are eligible for APTA's flexible work arrangement schedule. New hires must be employed three full consecutive months before being eligible to apply for a flexible work arrangement.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principals only: no agencies; no phone calls, please. Candidates selected to participate in an interview will be contacted by Human Resources.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The American Physical Therapy Association is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
APTA participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information please visit e-verify.uscis.gov.
APTA is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and invites and welcomes applicants with diversity of experience, mindset, and skills to add value to APTA and our staff community.
Position is located in Alexandria, VA.
Do you want to contribute to an organization dedicated to improving societal health? Would you like to collaborate with colleagues who are passionate about making a difference? Are you excited to work in a new state-of-the-art building designed to encourage movement, participation, and employee health?
Then you want to work for the American Physical Therapy Association!
APTA is the trusted leader for the physical therapy profession, representing 100,000 physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and physical therapy students. Our team supports the association's mission to build a community that advances the profession of physical therapy to improve the health of society.