The Director of Development will provide results-oriented leadership and management for all Foundation for Physical Therapy Research (FPTR) fundraising efforts. This role is responsible for developing and executing a well-designed and comprehensive fundraising and stewardship strategy to support the organization’s goals. Responsibilities include strategically identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major and planned giving donors. The Director of Development will also provide guidance and support of fundraising efforts of our board and volunteers and oversee annual fundraising efforts. This position reports to the CEO of the FPTR, supervises a small fundraising team and works collaboratively with scientific program and communications staff as well as staff of APTA to advance the organization’s mission.
Serves as a senior leader in the organization and works collaboratively with the CEO in creating strategies that result in significant revenue growth by creating and sustaining a culture of philanthropy within the FPTR staff and board.
The Foundation for Physical Therapy Research (FPTR) is an affiliate of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). All staff of the FPTR are employed by APTA and adhere to all APTA policies and procedures.
- Fosters a culture of collaboration and communication between development, scientific program and communication staff of the FPTR as well as staff of the Association.
- In collaboration with the FPTR CEO will develop and implement plans, monitor & report progress towards goals, increase fundraising effectiveness, while striving to attain greater levels of philanthropy for the organization within a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to develop strong connections in the Association and profession through effective networking, planning, and execution of fundraising strategies.
- Leads the development and implementation of the annual fundraising plan to meet or exceed financial goals.
- Identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards individuals for the purpose of securing donations and planned gifts for the FPTR’s priorities and initiatives.
- Skilled at soliciting and closing gifts, from individuals, in the five and six-figure range
- Contributes to implementing finance strategy, donor / prospect strategy, and public engagement strategy for the Foundation that align with the Association
- Accountable for meeting performance expectations and metrics for the FPTR and respective budget activities
- Supervises development staff within the FPTR, assuring adherence to policies and procedures, coaching staff, recruitment and retention of team members and ensuring morale, engagement, and participation in the workplace
- Provides recommendations on advancing operations within the FPTR to gain efficiencies, grow revenue, and provide stewardship of FPTR resources
- Contributes to quality assurance and continuous quality/performance improvement in the FPTRs activities, including supporting unit leader in annual assessments of respective budget activities described above
- Is a member of the Association’s Business Affairs team and strives for shared success to support research to advance the physical therapy profession.
- Works effectively with and manages implementation of appointed and volunteer groups efforts
- Provides strategic insight, counsel, data and intelligence to unit leader and executive leadership as appropriate on best practices related to the work of Foundation for Physical Therapy Research through briefings, reports and presentations
- Bachelor's Degree required
- CFRE, preferred
- 8+ years of experience in development/fundraising/steward ship
- Project management
- Experience with fundraising databases such as Raiser’s Edge and knowledge of prospecting tools and reports.
- Proficiency in the utilization and application of data and analytics as a tool to inform donor strategies.
- Effective communicator with strong writing, oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Travel 20%; Nationally
How to Apply
Equal Opportunty Employer
Principals Only. Position is located in Alexandria, VA.