Do you want to contribute to an organization dedicated to improving societal health? Would you like to collaborate with colleagues who are passionate about making a difference? Are you excited to work in a new state-of-the-art building designed to encourage movement, participation, and employee health?
Then you want to work for the American Physical Therapy Association!
APTA is the trusted leader for the physical therapy profession, representing 100,000 physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and physical therapy students. Our team supports the association's mission to build a community that advances the profession of physical therapy to improve the health of society.
The editor of APTA Magazine manages all aspects of the association's monthly, signature publication. Job responsibilities include managing editorial and production: developing and securing written articles; developing and monitoring production deadlines to keep tasks on schedule; working with design firm and printer; coordinating the web version of the magazine.
In addition to the specific duties of a magazine editor, will also serve as a member of the Member Experience Unit who implements efforts to support organizational priorities and activities within the Brand Strategy and Communications Department. Supports unit efforts with a focus on departmental contributions to membership strategy and people strategy for the association. Participates and support efforts for appointed and member volunteer groups and APTA leadership. Supports preparation of compliance requirements and documents and seeks out opportunities for continuous quality improvement in department activities. Effective champion of the association vision, mission, and brand.
- Manages editorial and production of APTA Magazine print and online.
- Implements work plans related to respective activities of the Brand Strategy and Communications department that align with organizational priorities and the association’s membership strategy and people strategy.
- Prepares and completes required departmental compliance forms as outlined below including ensuring required information is accurate for timely submission of all required forms.
- Contributes to and implements recommendations on advancing operations within the department to gain efficiencies and grow revenue, if applicable.
- Contributes to quality assurance and continuous quality/performance improvement in department activities, including supporting department director and unit leader in annual assessments of respective budget activities described above.
- Supports the Member Experience Unit in the implementation of the association’s programs, priorities, and projects in partnership with department director and staff colleagues.
- Prepares, in consultation with the director, department-level data that supports and aligns with the APTA data strategy.
- Upholds and fosters team values.
- Complies with all APTA policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned to foster achievement of association priorities.
- The ideal candidate will have 4+ years' experience in managing an association and/or health care periodical, including developing topics, assigning articles, moving publication through the print and online production process, having an understanding of the health care profession, and working with outside contributors, including association members.
- Undergraduate degree in English, journalism, or related field or equivalent related experience.
- Experience in strategic periodicals planning and execution.
- Experience in news, health care, political, and advocacy reporting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Excellent writing, editing, copyediting, and proofreading skills.
- Familiarity with AP style preferred.
- Knowledge of medical or scientific terminology is a plus.
- Strong computer experience required.
- 10% US
APTA's outstanding benefits include generous annual vacation and sick leave, federal paid holidays, retirement contributions, and commuting subsidies for employees who choose public transit and active transportation.
APTA's headquarters are located across the street from the new Potomac Yard Metrorail station set to open in October 2022, with immediate access to the DMV's bike trail system. Opened in 2021, APTA Centennial Center's amenities include a fitness center, bike share, and health and wellness classes—all free to APTA employees. A WiFi-connected rooftop terrace offers views of the Potomac River and Washington, D.C. skyline, offering a great alternate work location or place to take a break.
Most staff positions are eligible for APTA's flexible work arrangement schedule. New hires must be employed three full consecutive months before being eligible to apply for a flexible work arrangement.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principals only: no agencies; no phone calls, please. Candidates selected to participate in an interview will be contacted by Human Resources.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The American Physical Therapy Association is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
APTA participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information please visit e-verify.uscis.gov.
APTA is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and invites and welcomes applicants with diversity of experience, mindset, and skills to add value to APTA and our staff community.
Position is located in Alexandria, VA.