The 2022 call for volunteers for this Subcommittee is now open. The submission deadline is August 16, 2021, with terms beginning January 1, 2022.
There are currently 3 vacancies for this committee.
Applications are due August 16, 2021.
Note: Applications are submitted via APTA’s Engage portal. Use your APTA ID to create a profile. Select "Opt-in" from the APTA Engage homepage to get started.
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee provides strategic advice, recommendations, and counsel to the APTA Board of Directors regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion. These areas of focus include but are not limited to:
- Growing diversity in the profession of physical therapy to ensure that the profession can best serve society.
- Identifying and providing recommendations to ensure that APTA promotes and uses inclusive and equitable practices.
- Advising the Board on ways to cascade resources and guidance to members and nonmembers for use in their own professional roles.
- Providing counsel to the Board on options to help APTA meet strategic plan goals related to DEI.
All APTA appointed groups will conduct their work with the association organizational values in mind and in the context of (1) APTA's Mission, Vision, Strategic Plan and House of Delegates and Board of Directors adopted positions and policies; and (2) the potential for their work to have implications related to physical therapist assistants, women, diversity, and risk management.
Qualifications for Appointees
APTA seeks individuals:
- who have experience and expertise in areas relevant to diversity, equity, and inclusion within the physical therapy profession and beyond.
- with relevant experience in identifying best practices and implementing innovative approaches in DEI are well suited for this role.
- able to assess the full landscape of DEI and as part of team make recommendations that suggest enterprise-level thinking are needed.
- who are current APTA members.
Size of Appointed Group
The committee has14 members: one Board member as chair, selected by the APTA president and 13 members (two of which are members of the Board as selected by the APTA president). The APTA president serves as ex-officio (APTA bylaws: Article IX, Section 3, A and Article X, Section I, A).
Terms of Appointees
Committee members will serve three-year terms; no individual shall serve more than two consecutive terms.
Proviso: The three-year terms will be implemented as follows, so that by 2024 there will be three classes of committee members, each serving three-year terms. The initial committee member appointments will be staggered: three individuals appointed for a one-year term, four individuals appointed for a two-year term, and four individuals appointed for a three-year term.
The committee has one in-person meeting per year and up to six virtual meetings annually.
Board Chair: Skye Donovan, PT, PhD
APTA Staff Liason: Carmen Elliott
For additional information regarding this and other APTA volunteer opportunities, email firstname.lastname@example.org.