Developing a community of visionary, innovative, and influential directors in physical therapy educational programs to advance the health of society.
The APTA Fellowship in Education Leadership, formerly called the Education Leadership Institute (ELI) Fellowship, provides you with the skills and resources you need to be an innovative and influential leader.
The award-winning fellowship is accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education.
The APTA Fellowship in Education Leadership application deadline has passed for the 2021 – 2022 cohort to begin in June 2021.
Applicants must be:
- A current APTA member who is licensed/registered/certified or licensure-eligible in the United States.
- An aspiring or current leader in a physical therapist, physical therapist assistant, or residency/fellowship education program.
The fellowship is a 52-week curriculum delivered over a 13-month period (June-July). Three, 1.5-day, immersive sessions are provided in September, mid-March, and mid-July.
The fellowship curriculum addresses the breadth and depth of knowledge, skills, and behaviors required to function as directors within physical therapy education and leaders in higher education. Its nine on-line modules and immersive sessions are delivered in a trimester format and guided by content expert faculty, fellowship mentors, and the program director.
The curricular outline is as follows:
- Personal Leadership and Management.
- Institutional Leadership and Management.
- Immersive Session 1
- Higher Education, Health Care Systems, and Society.
- Student Affairs.
- Legal and Policy Issues,
- Human Resource Management.
- Immersive Session 2
- Resources/Financial Management.
- Program Development and Outcomes Assessment.
- Relationships, Influence, and Partnerships.
- Immersive Session 3
In addition, fellows have an opportunity to interact online with module faculty during virtual office hours. Module content is applied directly to physical therapy education during monthly mentor group e-community sessions.
Mentorship is an integral part of the APTA Fellowship in Education Leadership experience. These individuals provide regular, timely, and close interactions with the fellows through coaching, advising, and thought-provoking questions. Fellows interact with two types of mentors: fellowship mentors and institutional mentors.
Based on a need within their academic institution, the fellow identifies a project topic that directly benefits the nominating institution. Throughout the fellowship, these projects are further developed and refined with feedback from peers, fellowship mentors, and institutional mentors.
The institution is strongly encouraged to provide financial support to the fellow, as the employer will directly benefit from the enhanced knowledge and skills of the individual.
Tuition = $7,000.
Additional costs associated with this program include:
- Residency and Fellowship Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service application fee.
- Required texts and purchase of online articles (estimated cost $1,000).
- Travel and lodging (as health guidelines permit) to attend three, 1.5-day immersive sessions [September (associated with APTA Leadership Congress), March, and July].
- To help cover fellowship costs, past fellows have also applied for internal grants at their institutions. These grants include travel, professional development, and other university scholarships. Several fellows attending two-year colleges have received Perkins Grants.
Applications open on RF-PTCAS on October 1 of each year. The early admission deadline for each cycle is November 11 and the final deadline is March 15.
- Download the nomination form and send it to your supervisor for signature.
- Submit your application via RF-PTCAS with all required elements.
- Upload your completed and signed nomination form.
- Add your PT/PTA license and APTA member number.
- Enter the contact information for three evaluators. (One evaluation must be submitted by the same individual who completed the nomination form.) Once you have entered the contact information, your evaluators should receive an email from RF-PTCAS with instructions on how to access the CAS Evaluator Portal, complete the evaluation, and upload a letter of reference.
- Upload your current CV with evidence of past leadership activities.
- Answer the following questions:
1) A defining moment in your leadership journey, what has facilitated your growth as a leader, or your greatest leadership challenge.
2) Your leadership career goals and how your career aspirations are consistent with the fellowship mission.
3) Areas in which you hope to grow or learn through your participation in the fellowship.
4) A need your institution is facing that could be addressed through a fellowship leadership project.
No more than one applicant per academic institution will be accepted per cohort.
The APTA Fellowship in Education Leadership is provided in collaboration with the APTA Academy of Education, with its PTA Educators Special Interest Group; and the American Council of Academic Physical Therapy.
For more information, contact email@example.com.