Three scholarship awards are supported by the Minority Scholarship Fund. These scholarships are awarded annually to physical therapy students in their final year of physical therapy education and faculty members pursuing their post-professional doctoral degree.
Award Types & Eligibility
This is an annual award offered to minority faculty pursuing a post-professional doctoral degree by the Physical Therapy Fund. Read the nomination instructions (.pdf), and download the application form (.doc).
PT Student Award
This is an annual award offered to minority physical therapist students by the Physical Therapy Fund. Read the nomination instructions (.pdf), and download the application form (.doc) and reference forms (.doc).
PTA Student Award
This is an annual award offered to minority physical therapist assistant students by the Physical Therapy Fund. Read the nomination instructions (.pdf), and download the application form (.doc) and reference forms (.doc).
Submit a Nomination
The nominations process for the 2016 Honors and Awards program is now closed. Nominations must be submitted electronically. All materials completed and submitted for each nomination must have been received by the APTA Honors and Awards Program on or before December 1, 2015, to be considered for 2016 Honors and Awards Program. Please note that the nominator is responsible for reviewing and ensuring the proper completion of all steps within the online nomination submission process before final submission. Nominations for 2017 will open September 2016.
Contribute to the Minority Scholarship Fund
Thanks to the generosity of many APTA members and supporters, the Minority Scholarship Fund has grown to more than $400,000. Donations to the fund can be made in many ways, anytime, throughout the year:
Watch this video of past awardees describing the impact of the Minority Scholarship Award.
2016 Minority Scholarship Award Recipients
Physical Therapist Professional Education Students: Received $5,000 each
- Kimmi Edwards, SPT, Alabama State University
- Samantha Van Gorder, SPT, Duke University
- Marisol Madrigal Kiesz, SPT, University of Southern California
- Crystal J. Lamb, SPT, Grand Valley State University
- Cathy Jia-Yih Lee, SPT, Thomas Jefferson University
- Camille Richards, SPT, Springfield College
- Sheela Shah, SPT, Georgia State University
- Alyssa Schock, SPT, University of Montana
Minority Faculty Development Scholarship: Received $5,000 each
Nicole Brooks, SPTA, Riverside College of Health Careers
- Chanelle Hall, SPTA, Missouri Western State University
- Yutaka Iwamoto, SPTA, MS, ATC, Whatcom Community College
- Cynthia Perez, SPTA, BS, Kilgore College
View past award recipients for this award (.pdf).