The Minority Scholarship Award recognizes physical therapy students currently in their final year of an accredited program, and faculty members who are pursuing postprofessional doctoral degrees for their professional character and academic excellence. These awards are sponsored by the Minority Scholarship Fund and voluntary contributions.
Faculty Development Scholarship Award
This is an annual award offered to minority faculty pursuing a postprofessional doctoral degree by the Physical Therapy Fund. To apply, please carefully read and review the instructions for the Minority Faculty Development Scholarship Award
Submission requirements for the Minority Faculty Development Scholarship Award include:
1. A personal essay outlining your professional goals, along with plans to contribute to the profession and minority services. Your essay must include a response to the 4 questions listed in the application.
2 .Curriculum vitae to include but not be limited to: education and honors; continuing education courses; licensure and certification; employment (and titles of positions held); consultative and advisory activities; membership in scientific, professional, and honorary societies (and positions held); minority community activities/services; scientific and professional presentations; presentations at continuing education seminars/workshops; publications; published abstracts; grant activities; and other pertinent information.
3. A completed application form
4. Three completed reference forms (forms provided in application document)
- Reference Form 1: completed by the PT program director
- Reference Form 2: completed by the faculty advisor or chair of the dissertation committee
- Reference Form 3: completed by a resource who can verify contributions to the minority community
5. Plan of study for attaining the graduate degree, signed by the applicant’s faculty advisor. When appropriate, include dates of the comprehensive examination; admission to candidacy; approval of overview of research project; and defense of thesis, dissertation or equivalent requirement (form provided in application document)
PT Student and PTA Student Awards
This is an annual award offered to minority physical therapist students and minority physical therapist assistant students by the Physical Therapy Fund.
Scroll down to see and hear personal stories of impact from our 2020 award recipients.
Student nominees must complete all degree requirements (clinical and didactic) and/or be eligible to graduate between September 1, 2021 – December 31, 2022. To apply, please carefully read and review the instructions for the Minority Scholarship Award for Student Physical Therapist and Student Physical Therapist Assistants
Submission requirements for the Minority Scholarship Award for Student Physical Therapists and Student Physical Therapist Assistants:
2. A personal essay no longer than 600 words outlining your professional goals and minority service (beyond what is required by your academic program). Please upload/attach your essay to your nomination upon submission. Your essay must include a response to the following 3 questions:
- Why are your contributions to minority and underserved populations important?
- How have your activities and contributions impacted the communities you serve?
- How have your experiences and contributions impacted you personally?
- Reference Form 1: completed by the physical therapy program resource
- Reference Form 2: completed by a physical therapist clinician
- Reference Form 3: completed by a minority/communities activities referral
4. One unofficial transcript in PDF format detailing all physical therapy coursework completed to date must accompany the original application materials. If the applicant’s transcript is not based on a grading scale of 1-4, a written explanation of that scale’s equivalence to a 1-4 grading scale must be provided.
What Recipients Receive
Awards will be awarded based on the following:
- Each Faculty Development Scholarship awardee will receive an award and a monetary award of $5,000
- Each student physical therapist awardee will receive an award and a monetary award of $5,000
- Each student physical therapist assistant awardee will receive an award and a monetary award of $3,000
Awards will be presented by APTA's Board of Directors at an APTA national event with monetary awards mailed prior to the event. An official announcement will appear in an association publication.
Submit a Nomination
The nominations call for the 2022 Honors and Awards program are now open. Nominations must be submitted via our awards portal by December 1 to be considered.
For questions regarding the nomination process or the award, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make a Difference
APTA has provided more than $1 million in awards through the Minority Scholarship Fund. Your contributions are tax deductible as the Fund is contained within the 501(c)(3) Physical Therapy Fund, which is supported by APTA.Donate Today