APTA's Health Promotion and Wellness Network is a community for physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and students who are interested in incorporating prevention, health promotion, and wellness as an integral aspect of physical therapist practice, as well as in promoting and advocating for healthy lifestyles to reduce the burden of disease and disability on individuals and society.
PTs and PTAs have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to guide people toward optimal health and well-being by supporting and facilitating behavior change for enhanced quality of life. In collaboration with interprofessional teams, they contribute to improved health outcomes by focusing on the values of individuals and populations.
- Join the network. APTA members should use the online signup form to join the network (no fees required). By doing so, you will be automatically subscribed to receive email alerts from the network's online community (you may adjust your email alerts at any time).
- Become a component ambassador. The network seeks two representatives from every APTA chapter and section/academy to develop connections and consistent communication of updates and resources. If you are interested in being a representative, use the online sign-up form.
The purpose of APTA's Health Promotion and Wellness Network is to facilitate the profession's role in transforming society and physical therapist practice by connecting people and knowledge to develop and disseminate best practices in prevention, health promotion, and wellness for all individuals and populations.
- Promote understanding of the role of the PT in providing prevention, health promotion, and wellness services to all individuals and populations.
- Provide opportunities for PTs, PTAs, and students to gain knowledge and access tools and resources to provide prevention, health promotion, and wellness services to individuals and populations across the lifespan and in all practice settings.
- Be a resource for APTA components and external groups related to the PT's role in prevention, health promotion, and wellness.
- Connect and convene prevention, health promotion, and wellness stakeholders and groups across sectors to catalyze positive change in society's health beliefs, behaviors, and actions.
- APTA's Health Promotion and Wellness Network Hub Community.
- Annual Checkup by a Physical Therapist.
- Guide to Physical Therapist Practice (Section on Prevention).
- Nutrition and Physical Therapy.
- Patient Screenings.
- Prevention and Wellness.
Chapter and Section/Academy Resources
- APTA Geriatrics' Health Promotion & Wellness Special Interest Group.
- Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy's Health Promotion and Wellness Resource.