The 2022 call for volunteers for this committee is now closed. The next call for volunteers for national groups will open in July 2023 for terms beginning January 1, 2024.
The Bylaws of the American Physical Therapy Association (Article VII., Section I., C) provide that [t]he committee shall collaborate with and be a resource to members and member groups, and to the Board regarding ethical and judicial matters, and to the House regarding ethical matters.
(1) With respect to ethical matters the committee shall:
- Interpret the Binding Ethical Documents.
- Propose revisions of Binding Ethical Documents.
- Make revisions, as necessary, to the documents that interpret the Binding Ethical Documents and disseminate these documents for the management of judicial affairs.
- Review and comment on matters pertaining to ethics in existing and proposed Association policies and positions adopted by the House and Board and other initiatives or activities of the Association.
- Publish opinions and other materials that address current and emerging ethical situations.
- Promote activities for the dissemination of information and educational materials related to Binding Ethical Documents and interpretive documents.
- Collaborate with and be a resource to component ethics committees or liaisons.
(2) With respect to judicial matters the committee shall:
- Consult with the Board on development of Association policy adopted by the Board related to disciplinary action as a result of ethical complaints.
- Process reported violations of relevant provisions of Binding Ethical Documents in accordance with Association policy adopted by the Board.
- Make final decisions in disciplinary proceedings against a member, subject to appeal to the Board by the member.
- Publish sanctions against members who are determined to have engaged in unethical conduct.
In addition to the directives as indicated in the APTA bylaws, the Board of Directors’ determined charge for the Ethics and Judicial Committee is to:
- Actively promote activities for the dissemination of information on ethics, including building on the work already done to provide education on the revised Code of Ethics for the Physical Therapist ("Code") and Standards of Ethical Conduct for the Physical Therapist Assistant ("Standards").
- Promote activities for the dissemination of information and educational materials related to integration of best practice of ethical behaviors within clinical practice.
- The committee should undertake to complete during this term publishing written material and/or making oral presentations on the topic of ethics.
- Continue education on revisions to the Disciplinary Action Procedural Document.
- To do so, each committee member should undertake to complete during this term publishing written material and/or making oral presentations on the topic of ethics
- Submit a report to the Board of Directors on an annual basis
All APTA appointed groups will conduct their work with APTA's Commitment to Increasing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in mind and in the context of (1) APTA's Mission, Vision, Strategic Plan and House of Delegates and Board of Directors adopted positions and policies; and (2) the potential for their work to have implications related to physical therapist assistants, women, diversity, and risk management.
Size of the Appointed Group
Five Physical Therapist members, which includes the Chair.
This Board-appointed group does not have a Board chair in order to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest or impropriety because the Board is the body to which a member may appeal a disciplinary decision of the Ethics and Judicial Committee (EJC).
The role of the Board liaison is to serve as a conduit between the Board and the EJC; the Board liaison does not participate in disciplinary decisions.
Terms of Appointees
Per APTA bylaws, Article VII., Section 1., C., "Members shall serve a term of five years. At least one member shall be appointed annually. No member shall be appointed to successive complete terms."
The EJC meets several times per year via conference call and in person at APTA headquarters as needed.
For additional information regarding this and other APTA volunteer opportunities, email email@example.com.