Physical therapy provides numerous opportunities to lead—in your clinic, in your community, or in your association.
The following resources were curated by APTA's Leadership Development Task Force to help PTs and PTAs who are looking to improve their leadership skills.
- Volunteer Opportunities: APTA regularly seeks applicants for various Board-appointed committees and task forces, and other volunteer work groups.
- National Office: APTA annually seeks nominations for its national office positions.
- Component Leadership: Contact an APTA state chapter or special-interest section to learn about opportunities. Video: Why Be a Chapter or Section Leader?
Programs & Events
- APTA's Centennial Scholars Program: This program is building a cadre of future leaders at the component and national levels and supports APTA's quest for a diverse and prepared leadership pool and is an investment in the sustainability of the association as it begins its next 100 years.
- APTA Fellowship in Higher Education Leadership : This year-long fellowship is designed to help educators improve their leadership skills to facilitate change, think strategically, and engage in public discourse to advance the physical therapy profession.
- LAMP Leadership Development Certificate Program: LAMP curriculum supports leadership development through structured self-assessment of leadership strengths and weaknesses, identification of tools needed to lead successfully, empowerment, and mentoring through applied leadership activities.
- ACAPT Leadership Academy: The American Council of Academic Physical Therapy (ACAPT) offers affordable, accessible leadership training and resources for all stakeholders in the physical therapy academy.
- RM Barney Poole Leadership Academy: The Georgia Chapter offers this 1.5 day program that offers skills for PTs, PTAs and students to grow personally and professionally. Attendees will understand how change and innovation requires leadership.
- Chapter and Section Leadership Programs: Many chapters and sections provide leadership programs or events for members. Please contact your chapter or section to see what opportunities may be available.