Emmanuel B. John, PT, DPT, PhD, MBA, MPH, delivered the fourth Lynda D. Woodruff Lecture on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Physical Therapy on June 15, 2023.
Immediately following the lecture, a panel discussion featured:
- Mica Mitchell, PT, DPT (moderator), assistant professor of physical therapy at Methodist University and an American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties board-certified clinical specialist in pediatric physical therapy.
- Michael Harris-Love, PT, MPT, DSc, FAPTA, professor, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus.
- Barnette Keitt, PTA, MHA, acute care rehab supervisor at Prisma Health Tuomey.
- Katherine Sylvester, PT, DPT, private practice owner in Macon, Georgia.
Viewing the Lecture and Panel Discussion
There is no fee to watch the lecture and no registration required. However, the co-sponsoring organizations ask that viewers donate at least $10 to one of the following:
- Lynda D Woodruff Professional Development Sponsorship Fund on JEDI in PT
- American Academy of Physical Therapy.
- The Physical Therapy (PT) Fund, which supports the Minority Scholarship Fund and the Dimensions of Diversity Fund.
- National Association of Black Physical Therapists.
About the Lecturer
Emmanuel B. John is professor and dean at the Dr. Donald E. and Lois J. Myers School of Nursing and Health Professions School of Nursing and Health Professions at York College of Pennsylvania and a visiting professor to Chrisland University, Abeokuta, Nigeria.
John serves or has served in leadership roles for several professional organizations, including secretary and member of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors for the American Council of Academic Physical Therapy (2018-22). He also is a member of the American Physical Therapy Association, Nigeria Society of Physiotherapy, and executive director of the Nigeria Physiotherapy Network.
About the Lecture
The Lynda D. Woodruff Lecture is co-sponsored by the Physical Therapy Learning Institute, American Academy of Physical Therapy, National Association of Black Physical Therapists, American Council of Academic Physical Therapy, APTA Academy of Education, and APTA. This lecture is held annually around Juneteenth.
- Watch the 2022 Lynda D. Woodruff Lecture: DEI Fatigue? RST Is the Intervetion (Representation, Sankofa, and Trustworthiness)
- Watch the 2021 Lynda D. Woodruff Lecture: The Road to Success: Are We Ready to Change Direction?
- Watch the 2020 Lynda D. Woodruff Lecture: Who Do We Want to Be? Responsible Stewardship of Our Profession.
- Watch the 2020 panel discussion.
Help Advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
More on DEI
APTA's landing page on diversity, equity, and inclusion includes resources, articles, and an activity form where individuals and groups are encouraged to share their DEI action.View More on DEI