The 2022 call for volunteers for this committee is now closed. The next call for volunteers for national groups will open in July 2023 for terms beginning January 1, 2024.
The Bylaws of the American Physical Therapy Association (Article VII, Section I., B) provide that:
The committee shall be the point of contact and meet at least annually with the Treasurer and the Association’s independent auditors to discuss the annual audit. The committee shall advise the Board of Directors of any irregularities or material findings that arise from the independent audit or other sources.
In addition to the directives as indicated in the APTA bylaws, the Board of Directors’ determined charge for the Audit Committee is to:
- Participate in the financial information session for Component Leaders at APTA’s Combined Sections Meeting.
- Serve as the association’s audit committee and meet with the auditors annually to determine the scope of work and review the audit results.
- Provide oversight of the association’s regulatory compliance, risk management, and whistleblower complaints.
- Conduct an annual review of the APTA Travel Expense Reimbursement guidelines.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other APTA appointed groups and stakeholders, when doing so can further the work of the committee.
- Submit a report to the Board of Directors on an annual basis.
All APTA appointed groups will conduct their work with APTA's Commitment to Increasing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in mind and in the context of (1) APTA's Mission, Vision, Strategic Plan and House of Delegates and Board of Directors adopted positions and policies; and (2) the potential for their work to have implications related to physical therapist assistants, women, diversity, and risk management.
Size of Appointed Group
The APTA bylaws, Article VII., Section 1., B., provides that "The Audit Committee shall consist of at least three members, all of whom shall be Physical Therapist or Physical Therapist Assistant members."
The committee will comprise one Board chair (Board member serving as a consultant to the Finance Committee who is not the APTA Treasurer) and three members appointed by the APTA Board of Directors.
Term of Appointees
Committee members will serve three-year terms; no individual shall serve more than two consecutive terms. One member will be selected annually.
Proviso: For the initial composition of the group, the current members of the Finance and Audit Committee will serve on both the Finance Committee and the Audit Committee through the end of their current term. As such, there will be four members, in addition to the Board Chair, on the Audit Committee in 2022 As terms end over the next three years, the composition will change as new appointees will cycle onto the committee with three-year terms. By 2025, the Finance Committee and Audit Committee will be separate in terms of member composition.
This committee meets in person annually and on an as-needed basis throughout the year via conference call.
For additional information regarding this and other APTA volunteer opportunities, email firstname.lastname@example.org.